Esteemed Contributor

Uterine polyp, just diagnosed

just went for my annual and tne dr informed me during the most painful pelvic exam I've ever had!   She said it was a medium to large sized polyp and it needs to be removed.  Still not sure about that .  All I do know is I now several hours lateri have extreme pain, cramping, pressure and burning in my lower abdominal area plus under my pelvic bone.  This has never happened before after a pelvic.  I've had no symptoms of a polyp at all.  My dr recommends a gynogoligist remove it,  just not sure about all this .  She didn't go I to any great detail or even how I got this.  And now all this psi. Which I hope goes away ,  maybe it's best yo just do nothing.   Did some reading on this nd it doesn't seem a very serious condition plus I'm past child bearing age so that's not a factor.

Has as nyone here been diagnosed with uterine polyps ?  And did you have pain after your exam?  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Uterine polyp, just diagnosed

So you weren't at a gynecologist's office?  How did your doctor diagnose it?  I've had polyps among other maladies and they are easily removed and wise to do so.  They can be precancerous or cause bleeding.  There is really no pain or down time to the surgery and depending on the gynecologist and their office set up, can be done in office or outpatient. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

So you weren't at a gynecologist's office?  How did your doctor diagnose it?  I've had polyps among other maladies and they are easily removed and wise to do so.  They can be precancerous or cause bleeding.  There is really no pain or down time to the surgery and depending on the gynecologist and their office set up, can be done in office or outpatient. 

No I was  actually had my primary physicians office,  I'm not sure how she knew just thst she was doing an internal and it was very painful and then she told me I had the polyp on my uterus and it will need to be removed.  No other details.  Did you gave your removed without surgery then?  How exactly was it done?  Was it painful, cause I am still  in pain from the exam hsve no idea why though,  has never happened in all these years.

Honored Contributor

I had several cervical polyps removed during my 30's.   The doctor found them during my yearly exam, snipped them off right then, sent them for biopsy----all were benign growths.   No polyps since.

Honored Contributor

Go see the gyno.  

Honored Contributor

I think polyps are fairly common. I'd definitely go to a gynecologist. I would think more testing would need to be done to see what it is, like an ultrasound etc. I'm sorry you are in pain and hope you feel better soon.

Contributor

Absolutely see the gyno!  They will do a biopsy in the office and they can also do an internal ultra sound.  Both are painless.  Mine was taken care of with a simple D&C to remove the polyp.  I had no after effects.  The worst part is worrying about it.  Just get it taken care of immedietly.

Esteemed Contributor

Kitty Galore, I had an outpatient procedure done at my local hospital last week.  The Gyn removed 2 cervical polyps.  The procedure took 6 minutes & I was totally out.  Last year during a pap smear, my GP recommended I have a pelvic ultrasound.  It was painful.  I had a pelvic ultrasound about 4 weeks ago & it was pain less.  Recovery is easy & I was told to take a nice walk the next day, so DH & I went shopping.  lol.

The lab work came back fine.  The ultrasound showed one polyp, but during the procedure, there was the beginning of another one.  Don't put it off.  Peace of mind was worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore

They just snip it and sent it off for tests. It is not painful.  It during the gyne office visit with no special prep or after problems. No need for major concern.

Esteemed Contributor

I would just like to thank you ALL for your replys,  I guess I didn't realize it was an out patient procedure ,  I thought it was done in office.  I figured if it wasn't bothering me why do it,  the pain I have now putting me off from wanting yo do it , but peace of mind is everything.  I think I will find my own gyno,  I don't have one yet as we moved last year to a new area and I haven't needed one I'll now.  I'm still hoping it can be done easily in the office.

thanks again !