Honored Contributor

Have had this done, may I just say,  OUCH!

Have been told that one factor which contributes to pain is if one has given birth, or not.

In this case, not having had children did not work in my favor.

Best to you. 💐

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Have had this done, may I just say,  OUCH!

Have been told that one factor which contributes to pain is if one has given birth, or not.

In this case, not having had children did not work in my favor.

Best to you. 💐

I've given birth, and I found this to be very painful.  My best friend has no children, and she felt no pain at all.  So I wouldn't put much stock in that.

OP, it did hurt a lot but it was fairly quick. Not cramping, but sharp pain. I felt a little lightheaded after, but sat for a few minutes, and then was able to drive a pretty long distance home without any problem at all.  I felt completely fine 15 minutes or so after it was done.

So not a great experience, but well worth having.  I always try to focus on how fortunate we are to have tests and treatments that weren't available years ago.  And remember that everyone's experience is different.  Wishing you good health!

(And it was nothing like labor.  Not for me, anyway.)

Valued Contributor

I had a uterine biopsy . Just a small twinge of pain for a few seconds . If your worried take a few  tylenol  before test.

Respected Contributor

I had it done 30+ years ago and I still remember it. I think some of it was I was not expecting it and no one really warned me...it hurts! But it is over quickly. The doctor left the room and the table I was on was one of those where they can raise you up to a sitting position. The nurse did so and then told me I could get dressed. HUH? I was about to faint! She got me a wet rag and I had to sit there awhile till I "got over it." I think I was just kinda shocked. FWIW, I've never had children.....and I'm a wus.

Wishing you ALL THE BEST!!!  

Respected Contributor

I had a hysteroscopy & D&C in 1993 (at age 43 so no HRT yet) for what my dr. thought was fibroids (which I did have).  Pathology report from test came back that I had very early stage uterine cancer which was confined to my uterine lining & hadn't gotten into the muscle walls yet.  After the test I was spotting for the week or so until I had a full hysterectomy.  No problems since & my dr. even OK'd me to be on an estrogen patch, which I still use in the lowest dosage available all these years later (I just generally feel better on the HRT & my current gyno is fine with it).  The hysteroscopy was done out-patient at a hospital under general anesthesia.

Valued Contributor

I've had several of them.  Most of them were a cutting and one was a suction and I think the suction was more uncomfortable.  I'll take the cutting one anyday.  Had to have a D&C twice, hyperplasia of the uterus.  It's over before you know it.  Just take some Advil or whatever you take for pain.  Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

They do it in the office here. The pain is for maybe10 seconds, and you may

bleed/spot/cramp for a few days.

Regular Contributor

I had one a couple of years ago, luckily didn't know it at the appointment that I was going to have one as I google everything and make myself nuts.  Anyway I hate doctors and am the biggest baby and I was fine, they took three samples and it came out fine as well.  I drove myself and went out afterwards, however wear a pad as you will bleed a little.  I did have a hysterectomy because my uterine lining was getting a little thicker and I had fibroids .  What propelled me to go to the doctor was a tiny spot of blood on the tissue, it I hadn't of looked, would have never seen it.  My Mom had uterine cancer so she thought it best for me to have it removed.  The pathology from the hysterectomy came back with some abnormal cells that 25% of the time can turn to cancer.  I kept one ovary as they still do help guard against bone loss and heart disease, the other one they couldn't safe.  You will be fine, I promise, do not worry at all, over in a quick couple of minutes.  I was 56 years old.