Honored Contributor

I am on an estrogen patch and progesterone.  A few months back the manufacturer was changed, and I have had nothing but problems since.  Apparently, the previous manufacturer discontinued it, so I was unable to go back to that manufacturer.  The new patch is huge, thick, wouldn't stay stuck, and itched.  It was also always wet underneath whenever it was coming unstuck.  I was having to use waterproof tape to keep the thing stuck to me for the whole week.  Then, I started spotting.

Had a Dr. appointment today and knew they were probably going to do an ultrasound.  What they didn't tell me was that it would be a vaginal ultrasound.  Surprise!  Anyways, the results was that I have a thickened uterine lining, so now the doctor wants to do a biopsy.  I understand it is not a fun procedure.  My sister likened it to being in labor.  Hopefully, the drugs she prescribed will make it a lot more bearable.  Just a pap smear makes me grimace.  

Honored Contributor

Everybody's experience is different but for me, it was nothing, neither the ultrasound nor the biopsy.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Everybody's experience is different but for me, it was nothing, neither the ultrasound nor the biopsy.

I had one a few years back before menopause and it was really nothing. I was told to take an Advil before it. I was expecting discomfort but felt little to nothing...just a pinch.

The ultra-sound was nothing either. I have read long posts here about people experiencing discomfort, though. I guess everyone is different..

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess  My close friend had a uterine biopsy recently because of bleeding after meno, and she didn't complain at all about it (she has rheumatoid arthritis and is very sensitive to pain).  Unfortunately, the result was positive, and she had her uterus removed almost two weeks ago.  She is doing fine (they were able to remove it vaginally) and is currently at home taking it easy.  My point is......don't be afraid.......if anything is wrong......the sooner you get it fixed the better!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I had the uterine biopsy and it was like monthly cramps.  Nothing terrible.  Go home and lay down after the procedure if you can.  

I also had the vag ultrasound and that was no big deal to me.  These tests help rule out anything bad.  I am sure you will be fine but it is nerve wracking.  Hang in there.

I was never able to wear the patches as they caused me extreme skin irritation. 

Valued Contributor

Likely, nothing serious will be found, so don't worry.  I took an anti-inflammatory like Advil just after the procedure and I was fine the rest of the day.  I ended up later on having a hysterectomy for fibroids that just kept bleeding.  I never missed a day of my graduate program and felt so relieved to have my uterus out and not giving me grief any more.  I also had a my ovaries removed so I wouldn't experience ovarian troubles later on as ovarian troubles are much more difficult to know about until big troubles happen.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to you.

I had a cervical biopsy some years ago.  No pain mitigation, just a snip, snip.  Somewhat repulsive but took only moments.  I do still cringe at the memory.  The next day I needed an emergency root canal.  Lovely couple of days that was.

I've had several of "those" ultrasounds.  The first time, the technician asked, well, if I wanted to "handle it".  I thought she was joking.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

I just went through it a few months ago and it really wasn't a big deal for me. It's a very quick procedure nothing to stress about. 

Honored Contributor

@customerqvc2 wrote:

Likely, nothing serious will be found, so don't worry.  I took an anti-inflammatory like Advil just after the procedure and I was fine the rest of the day.  I ended up later on having a hysterectomy for fibroids that just kept bleeding.  I never missed a day of my graduate program and felt so relieved to have my uterus out and not giving me grief any more.  I also had a my ovaries removed so I wouldn't experience ovarian troubles later on as ovarian troubles are much more difficult to know about until big troubles happen.

@customerqvc2, I hate to tell you this, but don't be complacent about it.  My mother had a total hysterectomy when I was in high school, and I do mean total.  She developed ovarian cancer around 60.  Her old, retired family doctor told her "If I didn't know better I'd say you have ovarian cancer."  

I'm not overly stressing about it especially since my sister had the same thing done several years back and nothing bad was found.  I think my biggest concern was the thought that I might have to get a hysterectomy, but it sounds like they have that down to something more like day surgery now?  

Esteemed Contributor

I had a uterine biopsy in the office. No pain meds, the doctor told me it would just be a “pinch”.  Yikes!  Obviously he never had one.  I nearly kicked him across the room.