Honored Contributor

Re: Using distilled water for neti pot saline rinses

Not sure about that one @sidsmom. About the only real way to say if it's effective is to check the pH of that solution. I would think it's not just normal saline and something added to the 'saline' part would make a cleansing agent rather than a hydrating fluid. Most bottled or distilled water have pHs of around 7.0. Plain, normal saline is 5.5.

Honored Contributor

AYR, makes a saline rinse.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

This is what I have used for years, prehap I misspoke when I refered to it as saline

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee

What about these pre-made packets?

I use this since my nasal rinses are infrequent.

Thoughts?

DD1BD091-E178-46FD-9118-9269088D7292.jpeg

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I watch Monsters Inside Me.....it has taught me a lot about those 'bugs' and illnesses people can get -so when I started using a netti pot I knew enough to at least boil the water first....I didn't want to keep bottled water or distilled water on hand.

Honored Contributor

Distilled water only, makes perfect sense for flushing sinus cavities and using in C-paps.   The jugs are sealed to ensure that water is bacteria free and safe to use.   

You are rinsing an area that leads directly to your brain.   Using tap water gives a greater chance for introducing bacteria into the perfect environment for it to thrive and cause a life threatening infection.  

Even tho my public water supply is safe, there is a black scum that forms under the rim of my toilet bowl where the water portals are, and the same scum is found on the filter of my faucets in the bathrooms and kitchen sink.   No way would I use tap water to “clean” my sinus cavity.

Esteemed Contributor

I use the premixed packets and bottled water that I boil. I have done it this way for many years.

Trusted Contributor

My doctor told me I could either buy distilled or boil the water, and advised me to just make a homemade saline solution.  This is what I use:

1. Add 1 cup (250 mL) distilled water to a clean container. If you use tap water, boil it first to sterilize it, and then let it cool until it is lukewarm.
  2. Add ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) salt to the water.
  3. Add ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@sidsmom

This is what I have used for years, prehap I misspoke when I refered to it as saline

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee

What about these pre-made packets?

I use this since my nasal rinses are infrequent.

Thoughts?

DD1BD091-E178-46FD-9118-9269088D7292.jpeg

@sidsmom and @I am still oxox, these are saline with sodium bicarbonate mixed in. They're fine. You can mix your own at home and it's cheaper, but these are great for convenience.