Honored Contributor

Re: Using Weights As You Get Older (Past 70)

I do yoga regularly and when done properly with a good instructor it can absolutely take the place of weights.  In addition, I just started an exercise class that uses the tension bands which I prefer to weights since there are so many different exercises that can be done with them.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

winkk, as you age you loose muscle & bone growth stops, esp. after menopause. . Weight training helps with both. However, correct technique with weight training is a must. If you are not doing it correctly, not only will you hurt yourself but you are wasting your time. Technique is a must. Go to a place where you can learn proper technique & weight lifing for your age. Studies have backed this up.

Yes, yoga helps, but weights will do more for bone & muscle growth. Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I don't lift weights but I use resistance bands. The bands are better for me. I'm 63.

Valued Contributor

@Winkk, check out the Classical Stretch program on your local PBS station.  If it airs in a time slot too early for your liking, it is well worth recording it.  Perfect workout to start or end your day.  It's a 25-minute program that helps with flexibility and realignment, builds endurance with no-impact cardio, and strengthens your muscles as it lengthens them.  It's for everyone from ages 20 to 90.  The instructor is 68.  I've been doing it every single morning for 3 1/2 years.  Love it!  "Re-sets" my body so I don't have all the aches and pains from overuse and misalignment caused when I garden or do other exercise classes I enjoy.

Honored Contributor

A ‘doctor’ says “stop using the weights”...because they ‘irritate’ the muscle?

H.O.W are these doctors able to legitimately practice medicine?

Seriously?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

A ‘doctor’ says “stop using the weights”...because they ‘irritate’ the muscle?

H.O.W are these doctors able to legitimately practice medicine?

Seriously?

SMH! Yes I think it's absurd. @sidsmom 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

For years I have done aerobic exercises and used weights.  Over the past year my back has been aching a lot so I made an appointment with the doctor last week.  I know its the o

muscles in my back but I kept thinking I wasn't using enough weight.

He told me to stop using the weights because it's causing tension on my muscles and irritating them.  He told me to do yoga.  Which is fine except can you retain your muscles by doing yoga?  He says yes but I don't know.

Do any of you use weight training to keep in shape? 

@Winkk 

Yes!  I prefer the term "resistance training", because I use many different methods, including steel weights. I use my Bowflex/Total Gym/Dumbbells/Host of different tension resistance bands and plain old pushups. 

To ice skate I have always done many different types of strength training for my quads/hip flexors along with lots of stretching. Pretty much the same when competitive Road Running when in the 50-55 Age Bracket.

I have had 2 back surgeries  with my L-5/S-1, and L-3 removed. I have always worked all of my core muscles to develope  and keep their strength, and just as much time keeping all my rear side back and leg muscles as flexible as possible. The spine is supported in the front and sides by Abdominal/Core Muscles, and thus rely on flexibility of all the opposing muscle groups of the rear side.

Will be 80 in June and am just as flexible as I was many decades ago. Even through my many near death experiences, which did set me back, I returned as soon as possible to using my same methods to rehab and recover the things that have kept me fully functional as the years fly on by.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut 

@hckynut wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

For years I have done aerobic exercises and used weights.  Over the past year my back has been aching a lot so I made an appointment with the doctor last week.  I know its the o

He told me to stop using the weights because it's causing tension on my muscles and irritating them.  He told me to do yoga.  Which is fine except can you retain your muscles by doing yoga?  He says yes but I don't know.

@Winkk 

Yes!  I prefer the term "resistance training", because I use many different methods, including steel weights. I use my Bowflex/Total Gym/Dumbbells/Host of different tension resistance bands and plain old pushups. 

To ice skate I have always done many different types of strength training for my quads/hip flexors along with lots of stretching. Pretty much the same when competitive Road Running when in the 50-55 Age Bracket.

I have had 2 back surgeries  with my L-5/S-1, and L-3 removed. I have always worked all of my core muscles to develope  and keep their strength, and just as much time keeping all my rear side back and leg muscles as flexible as possible. The spine is supported in the front and sides by Abdominal/Core Muscles, and thus rely on flexibility of all the opposing muscle groups of the rear side.

Will be 80 in June and am just as flexible as I was many decades ago. Even through my many near death experiences, which did set me back, I returned as soon as possible to using my same methods to rehab and recover the things that have kept me fully functional as the years fly on by.

hckynut

I will be 83 in June.  Sixty years of working out as we use to call. It.  I exercise six days a  week.  Walking, Zumba, biking, treadmill, weights and gova

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut 

@hckynut wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

@Winkk 

hckynut

I will be 83 in June.  Sixty years of working out as we use to call. It.  I exercise six days a  week.  Walking, Zumba, biking, treadmill, weights ,free and machine and yoga.  You are never to old.  I have had to lower amount of weights on my legs from 90 to 70 lbs.  

Esteemed Contributor

There is really no way to know 100% why there was so much bone loss. But an osteopathic trainer said that weights can sometimes compress the spine. That was the only thing that was done differently than in previous years. I'm happy they work for you!