Respected Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

[ Edited ]

The type of lightweight food-handling (and restaurant-quality) gloves that I buy in bulk from Costco online could not be used for handling money at a cash register or doing any other intricate or precise task like that.

Food-service people who make sandwiches in deli

stores change gloves or should change gloves each time they handle some non-food item.

I go through as many as three or four pairs of those disposable gloves whenever preparing raw meat for a meal.  Couldn't live without them.

If I had to wash my hands many times a day, my skin would crack and fall off!!

Thank goodness for the gloves and a nearby trash can to throw them in.

Honored Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

If the food is going into a hot fryer or oven, the heat will kill most all microbes. It's only after the food is cooked and handled where sanitation is concerning, especially cold-food prep. 

What gets me is when I see cooking shows where the people aren't covering, or even securing, their hair back. For me there is nothing more disgusting than finding, or eating, a hair in my food!!Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If we went in the kitchens of restaurants, we would probably never see a chef wearing gloves. 

Respected Contributor

What is even more disturbing is to be in the bathroom with an employee, and they leave without washing their hands.  I have seen this first hand.  I emailed this well known restaurant and told them what happened, identified the employee.  Surprisingly, they emailed me back telling me the steps they had taken to educate this employee on proper sanitation needs for their restaurant.  They wanted my address to send me certificates for free meals, but I told them I didn't want anything from them just wanted them to know what happened while I was dining there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex I've told dental hygienists to change their gloves before putting their hands back in my mouth after touching pens and drawers and the overhead light, etc.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

There are such laws, which vary from venue to venue.

Still, enforcement in many places is lax. Also, if those wearing gloves do the same things while wearing gloves that they do without them (I'll refrain from specifics), it's counterproductive.

I've also heard about places where staff still handle food (with gloved hands), then handle money. Yuck.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Many restrooms in restaurants have a sign reminding employees to wash their hands.  I can't imagine leaving a restroom without washing my hands.  Must be a problem that some employees don't do it.  

Respected Contributor

This is a really interesting article about why most chefs don't wear gloves.

https://www.delish.com/restaurants/a27153285/why-chefs-dont-wear-gloves/

Honored Contributor

Anyone handling food for sale must comply with their state's safety laws.  The manager must take a course and make sure every employee or worker complay with those laws. There should be a card showing the safety course was taken and it should be displayed.

Some of the rules are that no watches or bracelets can be worn.  gloves must be worn over freshly washed hands.  You must wash hands every time you change gloves. Hair nets and nets for beards must be worn as well.

You must change gloves and wash your hands after touching money or garbage, after sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose ; Also after handling raw meat.

There are a whole lot more, but I can't remember them all.  It's been a while since I had to handle food for sale.

If you see employees not following the above, you can make a report to your state who will do a surprise inspection.

Valued Contributor

I think wearing gloves can be worse than no gloves.

While online in the deli dept. at the food store today, the person slicing my cold cuts had gloves on.  Saw her scratch her nose and ear.  Then rub her eyes  This was in between slicing my turkey.

Ever be in a sandwich shop and watch them making your sandwich?  Touching all sorts of things (condiment bottles, pickles, etc) while making your sandwich.

Those gloves have tons of germs on them.