Honored Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

I think this is normally part of the city or county health codes for restaurants...honor system for compliance, I guess.
Honored Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

I go through lots of Clorox or Lysol wipes preparing every meal. I wipe down cutting boards and wash them in very hot water and use a different board for chicken, beef. I wipe down everything a lot while cooking and also use a lot of different utensils while preparing the meal. DH teases me about it but I can’t stand using a knife to cut something and then using it to cut something else without cleaning it first.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think this is normally part of the city or county health codes for restaurants...honor system for compliance, I guess.

Actually, it is not an honor system.  There are inspections done at least once a year and if the restaurant is out of compliance, they can be fined or closed down.

In some cities, the inspection report must be posted so that the customers can see it.

Where I live in PA, the reports are exposed on TV and in the paper.  You can also go online and look up every restaurant, school cafe, church, lunch wagons, etc.

if somone makes a complaint, the inspectors make a special trip.  This is serious business.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  It also bothers me when I see them wear their  work apron in the restaurant. My husband said to me last time that I saw that , "Well they already served our food so don't stress over it" Are you kidding me I care about who comes in after she goes back. Also I really have turned to the manager and told her that should be printed on the wall also.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all of the posts, however, I have family members in the restaurant business and I questioned them about this issue.  Depending on the "county" you live in determines if cooks wear gloves.  Some "states" require they do, but not all of them.   

I am sure many of us have had pictures in our heads of what goes on in those kitchens.  Back in the fifties I had a neighbor who drove a truck filled with tablecloths and napkins delivering them to certain restaurants.  He apprised me of certain ones to stay away from because he personally saw food being dropped on the floor, picked up and put right back in the pot.  Gross, right?

When the Health Department performs an inspection, the restaurant is given an A, B C or D.  If a C or D is given too often the facility is in danger of being shut down.  I'm sure the majority pay strict attention to the rules, however, we have no way of knowing if the one we are dining in is one of them.  We can only hope!!!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

I think the gloves are not much safer than hands..here is why I say that.We went for flu shots at Walgreens and the pharmacist put on gloves.She then did a couple of things on a computer and finally buzzed herself out the locked door picked up her tray and prepared to give us a shot.We asked her to put on new gloves as she had touched many surfaces.She was not happy about that but complied.

I agree - in the past when I had my flu shot they had a cashier at the pharmacy and she entered all the info into the cash register and the person giving the shot in the back would come out, wash their hands, put on gloves and then give the shot.  I've often thought about the fact that they say the one thing with more germs in most people's houses is their remote control.  Thinking a computer keyboard used by so many would also rank up there too!  

The funny thing - I hate greasy/smelly stuff on my hands so when I buy ground beef and bring it home to make into hamburger patties, I put on disposable medical (non powder) gloves.   I wear it when I'm handling chicken or fish as well.  

ETA - I buy disposable one time use gloves in boxes of 100 at the drugstores.  

Honored Contributor

Gloves are no better or worse than bare hands if the person isn't following sanitary guidelines. As for those saying wash your hands then put on gloves, you really need dry hands in order to get on any of the reasonably snug-fitting gloves. I use nitrile gloves fairly often and if there's any moisture on your hands from a recent handwashing, getting them on is a fight.

Chef towels can be a bigger issue contamination wise than anything else. Some chefs are pretty indiscriminate about what they use the towel on and then use it to wipe a plate before sending it out. At the end of a shift, some chef towels look like they've been used to mop an operating room floor, but they've still been used to wipe plates as they head out for the diners. Chef towels are very handy for the chefs, but in many cases, sanitation isn't a big concern of the chefs when it comes to their towels. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear 

@FlowerBear wrote:

This is scary and a concern Smiley Sad

I have seen those preparing food take money at the cash register wearing the same gloves Smiley Sad

I tell them to change their gloves.  

I also called the agency in Sacromento, CA.  and asked about those not wearing gloves.  Was told, not a law or requirement.  yet when I demonstrated food, I was required to wear and change gloves often.

Honored Contributor

Unless you have no kitchen to cook in, just do not eat out for a while.  Sure there are some people who have no choice...

.but if you do have a choice....no take out....no restaurant food...no in store deli prep type food. 

Valued Contributor

You know what really disgusts me in a restaurant or any food preparation establishment, really, is that dirty rag someone always seems to be walking around with.  I'm all for wiping down counters and table tops, but for gosh sakes have enough rags that you don't have to bring that smelly thing near me.