Respected Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

The other day I went to my local supermarket to the deli counter.  A very nice gentleman asked me what I wanted.  I told him, and he proceeded to get the item. However, he also wiped his nose with the back of his gloved hand😬. Of course, I told him that I had changed my mind & didn't want the item after all.  He asked if was something he had done. He appeared to be truly concerned, so I told him and left. Don't know what happened after. Yuck

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

@luvzchiz  Yuck is right ! Smiley Tongue

I wouldn't want it after that either.

Honored Contributor

I can't help but to think of the effect of all these disposable gloves hitting the landfills.  That said I use them when preparing raw chicken.

Honored Contributor

Well, we have to have to have a little dirt along the way to stay able to be immune to perhaps we should not worry all that much since we've survived this long!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I can't help but to think of the effect of all these disposable gloves hitting the landfills.  That said I use them when preparing raw chicken.

I was thinking the same thing....along with all the other

plastic "stuff " !!

Oh, what to do..what to do.. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I remember when I worked in many different office bldgs and how many people used the restroom and walked out without washing their hands. Who does that!

I always hated using someone else's computer or they using mine, ugg, esp if they had been sick the day before.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I entered Costco yesterday,, the greeter who checks membership cards asked to wipe down the handle on the cart I was using with a disinfectant cloth.

Then, for the second time in a month, I haven't found any Costco-brand toilet paper, and was told both times that they are "sold out".

They were stocking big loads of Charmin toilet paper yesterday and no space was left for the Costco Kirkland brand.

It dawned on me that people might be buying out supplies of household and food staples because of virus fears.  I have seen media reports advising people stock up on things so they can  stay home and avoid too much public contact.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1I feel anyone working in the food industry and preparing the food should be wearing gloves.  When they leave the prep area they should remove and disguard their gloves, and when returing to work with the prep of food, wash their hands and put on new gloves.  I worked for years in a small diner and this was the policy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those concerned about the environmental impact of disposable food-service plastic gloves -------

Biodegradable food-service gloves are readily available on major websites.

Check out the Big A....website for starters.

Honored Contributor

We host a dinner every week at our church for some peopke who are down on their luck ( but not homeless). We always use gloves.