Respected Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

@FlowerBear I think that is sick also. I have at times said to the worker' I know your really busy and it didn't crossed your mind to take your gloves off and wash your hands and put on a fresh pair of gloves" When your finished with money. , but you really should. And they were kind and did it.I was very pleased.

Respected Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

@Nonametoday She may have been upset with herself because she didn't remember herself.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

The type of lightweight food-handling (and restaurant-quality) gloves that I buy in bulk from Costco online could not be used for handling money at a cash register or doing any other intricate or precise task like that.

Food-service people who make sandwiches in deli

stores change gloves or should change gloves each time they handle some non-food item.

I go through as many as three or four pairs of those disposable gloves whenever preparing raw meat for a meal.  Couldn't live without them.

If I had to wash my hands many times a day, my skin would crack and fall off!!

Thank goodness for the gloves and a nearby trash can to throw them in.

@novamc1  Don't you love that you can open the trash can with your foot so there is no need to dirty your hands or gloves with that chore.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp said ~

We need proper education but that alone is not enough.  There must be enforcement to protect the public. 

In my other life, I was a supervisor/weekend kitchen manager at a very large nursing home.  We had one huge kitchen, and 7 dining rooms with small serving kitchens...

You mentioned "enforcement" of HACCP Rules.  My Nickname there was "The KITCHEN WITCH"  "LOL!"  Smiley LOL 

It's been almost 20 years since we had to move (husband transfer)...I still miss my job...Smiley Sad 

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

When I am preparing hamburger meat, chicken or pork in my kitchen I keep gloves on hand, rinsing under hot water or changing gloves often.  I am so careful it gets on my children's and my husband's nerves.  But I don't care.  Gloves are cheap compared to medications and healthcare costs.  He is diabetic and I just take extra care in making sure he does not get infections.  I use a bazillion spatulas, forks, knives and spoons in preparing food because I don't want to cross-contaminate.  When I tell people I wash 3 loads of dishes per day they wonder how for just 2 people. That's how.

@Nonametoday 

I don't blame you at all -- you're very proactive!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If the food is going into a hot fryer or oven, the heat will kill most all microbes. It's only after the food is cooked and handled where sanitation is concerning, especially cold-food prep. 

What gets me is when I see cooking shows where the people aren't covering, or even securing, their hair back. For me there is nothing more disgusting than finding, or eating, a hair in my food!!Smiley Tongue

@SilleeMee 

YES --- I am glad you brought that up!  Not securing hair is another pet peeve of mine!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

What is even more disturbing is to be in the bathroom with an employee, and they leave without washing their hands.  I have seen this first hand.  I emailed this well known restaurant and told them what happened, identified the employee.  Surprisingly, they emailed me back telling me the steps they had taken to educate this employee on proper sanitation needs for their restaurant.  They wanted my address to send me certificates for free meals, but I told them I didn't want anything from them just wanted them to know what happened while I was dining there.

@Hoovermom 

How disgusting!  I have never witnessed this, but I am sure it happens.  I have seen other people though when I am in a restroom just leaving without handwashing --- gag!  

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

This is a really interesting article about why most chefs don't wear gloves.

https://www.delish.com/restaurants/a27153285/why-chefs-dont-wear-gloves/

@Alison Wonderland 

That was interesting - thanks!

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for your comments and replies!!! 

Respected Contributor

If they are wearing gloves, but touching everything, the only one being protected is the person wearing them ! Not the customer.