Honored Contributor

Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

Not sure if this should go in wellness or where-- but I am opting for wellness because I think what I am questioning is how the use or not use of gloves when preparing foods and cooking affects health and safety of foods which we are consuming! 

This in no way is attributed to the coronva virus issue, but something which I have wondered and thought about for a good while and wanted to see what others here might think on this subject!

For instance, regarding local fish fries which are now currently starting, DH and I were just watching news shows and they were showing churches, etc. preparing for their fish fries.  They showed some people preparing the dishes wearing and handling the foods with gloves and some without gloves! 

Also, we watch a lot of cooking shows and competitions on t.v.  You rarely see people wearing gloves!  Why don't they???  

Regarding going to festivals, etc. where various foods are sold, you often see vendors and preparers not wearing gloves.  Why not?

Should not in this day and age it just be a given that people who are handling and preparing food be required to wear gloves when doing so???

DH and I were talking and said --- well, who knows what is really going on back in the kitchens when you go out to eat?  It's scary -- and DH said --- it's best not to think about it!

What are your thougts?  Don't you think that it should be necessary and/or a law that when people are preparing food to sell to the public that they must wear gloves???

Thanks for reading and giving your thoughts! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

This is scary and a concern Smiley Sad

I have seen those preparing food take money at the cash register wearing the same gloves Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Use of gloves in preparing foods in restaurants, on t.v. cooking shows, etc. ....

I think the gloves are not much safer than hands..here is why I say that.We went for flu shots at Walgreens and the pharmacist put on gloves.She then did a couple of things on a computer and finally buzzed herself out the locked door picked up her tray and prepared to give us a shot.We asked her to put on new gloves as she had touched many surfaces.She was not happy about that but complied.

Honored Contributor

People preparing food tobe  consumed in restuarants and other gatherings should be wearing gloves.  For demonstration purposes I don't see why it's necessary though hands should always be washed first.

Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear 

I was just going to say the same thing. Even when they wear gloves sometimes they handle money & go back to food without changing gloves. I did see a young lady at subway remove her gloves to take my $. She then put new ones on when she went back to food prep. But how often do you see that? Sometimes they have separate employees for food prep & cash register, 

Esteemed Contributor

ITA!   Food handlers should absolutely wear gloves.  But the most important thing is they need to be trained in asepsis!   Contaminating food with dirty gloves is as bad as handling food without gloves.  As another poster stated people use the cash resgister, touch money (which is disgusting filthy) and then go back to the food, seriously??????

Change the gloves people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Food education needs to be the same as hospital education, it would make for a much healthier society.

Esteemed Contributor

We need proper education but that alone is not enough.  There must be enforcement to protect the public.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I am preparing hamburger meat, chicken or pork in my kitchen I keep gloves on hand, rinsing under hot water or changing gloves often.  I am so careful it gets on my children's and my husband's nerves.  But I don't care.  Gloves are cheap compared to medications and healthcare costs.  He is diabetic and I just take extra care in making sure he does not get infections.  I use a bazillion spatulas, forks, knives and spoons in preparing food because I don't want to cross-contaminate.  When I tell people I wash 3 loads of dishes per day they wonder how for just 2 people. That's how.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC attempting to change the tone of the thread.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think the gloves are not much safer than hands..here is why I say that.We went for flu shots at Walgreens and the pharmacist put on gloves.She then did a couple of things on a computer and finally buzzed herself out the locked door picked up her tray and prepared to give us a shot.We asked her to put on new gloves as she had touched many surfaces.She was not happy about that but complied.

@dex   These healthcare workers know better too.  We all had to attend Infectious Disease Containment classes.  We were taught to change gloves between each function and/or wash with disinfectant soaps or hand cleansers.  I even wash my gloves with Liquid Dial Gold Soap between functions in my own kitchen, from picking up a spoon to picking up a knife.  I am so careful it takes me more time to prepare food and use more utensils, rinsing each under hot water as I remove it from its slot.