Esteemed Contributor

@hookedonq  Glad you were able to find a resolution. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Upsetting Call from GYN

[ Edited ]

@willomenia wrote:
they really never should have left any message saying anything about your test because of hipaa laws. if they didn't give results, it could be because of this law. I believe good or bad, they can't disclose anything. so i wouldn't jump to conclusions.

All of my doctors have a form that requires a signature for permission to leave messages on an answering machine. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I personally don't think it was very professional.  I would calmly mention it to my doctor the next time I saw him.  I find that my experience with  the office staff is almost as important as my experience with the doctor and I would think the doctor would appreciate being told anything that would make your experience better.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Upsetting Call from GYN

[ Edited ]

My doctor calls me with all of my test results, even to tell me everything was normal.  I wouldn't want it any other way. I was called about 2:00 on a Friday afternoon and the office closed at 3:00.  I missed the call because I was in a meeting.  Quite honestly, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that.  They had the results and wanted me to know what they were so they attempted to call.  What if I had answered the phone and been able to get the results?  How many people would be mad to find out their doctor had the results Friday and didn't call them until Monday because they were available to take the call?

My gyno had a policy of only releasing test results to MyChart if they were okay.  If I saw that I had a message from MyChart, I knew my test was normal.  If I got a call, I knew it was a problem.  After we spoke, she would release the results to MyChart.

My PCP releases to the portal and pretty much calls me simultanously.  However if they don't get ahold of me, I can look at my test results.  I'd rather get the call then the results if there is a problem.    

I'm not sure how it would be a HIPAA violation to call someone and leave a message to call the office back.  I'm also not sure what ACA has to do with this?    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My doctor calls me with all of my test results, even to tell me everything was normal.  I wouldn't want it any other way. I was called about 2:00 on a Friday afternoon and the office closed at 3:00.  I missed the call because I was in a meeting.  Quite honestly, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that.  They had the results and wanted me to know what they were so they attempted to call.  What if I had answered the phone and been able to get the results?  How many people would be mad to find out their doctor had the results Friday and didn't call them until Monday because they were available to take the call?

My gyno had a policy of only releasing test results to MyChart if they were okay.  If I saw that I had a message from MyChart, I knew my test was normal.  If I got a call, I knew it was a problem.  After we spoke, she would release the results to MyChart.

My PCP releases to the portal and pretty much calls me simultanously.  However if they don't get ahold of me, I can look at my test results.  I'd rather get the call then the results if there is a problem.    

I'm not sure how it would be a HIPAA violation to call someone and leave a message to call the office back.  I'm also not sure what ACA has to do with this?    

All of my doctor's continuously update the latest rules and regulations. The O P most likely forgot that she signed the release for messages to be left on her answering machine.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Before everything became computerized - my doc would just send a letter with the results, and any recommendations.  

When they computerized medical records - it's been great and really efficient.  Now I get an email when results are posted.  All I do is click into my account and everything is there.

Absolutely loving the computerized medical records .... both my doctors, hospitals and insurance company.

Super Contributor

Another UPDATE...I am scheduled for a Colposcopy in a few weeks with biopsy. My physician is the chief of OB GYN at a major hospital and does a lot of GYN surgery, so I am confident in her recommendation. I am not thrilled but here goes. Thanks for your support, ladies!

PS...my original post wasn't to complain that they called and left a message but rather that they did so literally minutes before switching on the answering service for a 3 day weekend. Not really possible to call back.

Super Contributor

UPDATE 3...my follow up/repeat test came back "High Risk" so not the best of news. I have 2 weeks to wait for the colposcopy and biopsy...I could see another practitioner sooner but have opted to wait, as should I need any extensive surgery, my doctor would be the one doing all. The plan now is to see how extensive the area of bad cells is and hope it can be cut away. Sorry if TMI...it helps to write about it as I live alone and can easily start to ruminate too much on this if I keep it all in my head.

Honored Contributor

@hookedonq wrote:

UPDATE 3...my follow up/repeat test came back "High Risk" so not the best of news. I have 2 weeks to wait for the colposcopy and biopsy...I could see another practitioner sooner but have opted to wait, as should I need any extensive surgery, my doctor would be the one doing all. The plan now is to see how extensive the area of bad cells is and hope it can be cut away. Sorry if TMI...it helps to write about it as I live alone and can easily start to ruminate too much on this if I keep it all in my head.

@hookedonq   It is not TMI and please continue to post here as much as it helps you-there are many great posters here to support you and care about you.

I am sending you a {{{hug}}} and remember-you are not alone.

Image result for flowers gif"

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@hookedonq wrote:

I know it's hard not to worry, but they have such great technology now ... I'm sure they will get you right back to normal asap.  I will keep you in my prayers, @hookedonq .