Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I worked in healthcare for many years before retiring and one of my jobs was to discuss test results with a patient. I would never have called a patient that late on a Friday knowing that the office would be closing. Try not to think the worst. That's easier said than done. Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about.

@Tricolor   That must have been before the Affordable Healthcare Act, 2010.

Honored Contributor

@hookedonq wrote:

My OB GYN office left a message on my voice mail at 3:50pm on Friday to call back to discuss my Pap results...and the office closed at 4pm! Of course, I got the message at 4pm and now have to worry all weekend. Am I being too severe to say that I think this is a less than thoughtful approach and they should have waited until Monday? I am trying to keep calm but have to admit it is upsetting.

@hookedonq   I have to agree with you and honestly I would say something.  It doesn't matter if it's something serious or not at all...why make a patient worry so much all weekend?!!

I will pray for you that it is something minor.  Try to relax a bit if you can.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, office workers in trying to clear their desk off for the weekend do not think many times.  The same thing happened to me yesterday but I was able to get someone in the office about a negative test result!  I have found over the years that doctors and attorneys get to paper work at the end of the week and this prompts the calls.  I have spend a few bad weekends due to this type of call.  I do think better judgement could be used in making the call.  I do not believe the caller is allowed to leave the results even if negative.  I know many times I have told the staff, I am the only one who gets my messages please leave one!

I hope all is well with your test results.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@hookedonq wrote:

My OB GYN office left a message on my voice mail at 3:50pm on Friday to call back to discuss my Pap results...and the office closed at 4pm! Of course, I got the message at 4pm and now have to worry all weekend. Am I being too severe to say that I think this is a less than thoughtful approach and they should have waited until Monday? I am trying to keep calm but have to admit it is upsetting.

My gyn did this to me once too, also on a holiday weekend when they weren't open on Monday.

They got a serious piece of my mind when I got them on the phone and her response was....wait for it..

"It just your doctor's office, I don't understand why you're so upset."

And people wonder why doctor's offices get such horrible reviews on line.

and why women choose to not go to the doctor at all......

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry.  I have lived this over Thanksgiving and actually found the results myself online while they took a week to get back to me.  This is why I have refused call backs and any other medical test they can't give me a darn good reason for.  I don't want the absolute lack of sensitivity and disregard running rampant today with how we treat one another.  To me, when you work in certain fields like literal life and death, you have some common sense or at least train people to have some common courtesy.  

I pray you'll be in the majority and just have over eager health professionals.  I hope Monday comes very soon for you and if they have found anything, good news is anything caught is highly treatable and curable especially if you are keeping up regular visits.  I'm sure it's just a scare and please take a break from the worry just for a bit and plan the big gift you'll be buying for yourself when they tell you you're okay.  I did that and it works wonders!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@hookedonq wrote:

My gyn did this to me once too, also on a holiday weekend when they weren't open on Monday.

They got a serious piece of my mind when I got them on the phone and her response was....wait for it..

"It just your doctor's office, I don't understand why you're so upset."

And people wonder why doctor's offices get such horrible reviews on line.

and why women choose to not go to the doctor at all......

This so me!  I know it'll eventually cost me my life but between high deductibles and lack of communication, I've said no to callbacks and I am seriously considering declining the regular exams this year.  I can't afford the bills or the stress.

Respected Contributor

@hookedonq I’m with you in the “ week end worriers” club, as they did the same thing to me. Test results will require me to come back for further testing, and then there is the waiting to get an appointment. 
Ugh....worrying and waiting 😟. 

Super Contributor

UPDATE***

Ladies, Thank you for the responses and support. I took your advice...after giving up on looking online, since I couldn't remember my password, I found a way to get one texted to me and accessed my records...I located the test and it came back Low Grade ASC-US with a note for additional testing. At least I don't have to wonder now until Monday (or Tuesday since Monday is a holiday and they might be closed). I can't thank you enough for the "virtual" support.

Honored Contributor

That's great you got to the bottom of it.

If it had been bad news, I would think it would be the Dr calling.  That's how it was in my case anyway.

Honored Contributor

Re: Upsetting Call from GYN

[ Edited ]

@hookedonq wrote:

@hookedonq 

Even if it is bad news, there's no point in worrying in advance of having the facts.  I speak from experience.

Maybe there was a screw-up in the lab and it just needs to be re-done.  Or maybe it's a very minor irregularity and they'll want to do another in  a couple months ... or who knows.  If you're getting pap smears on a regular basis, it can't be anything that advanced to a disturbing degree .... right?

I know it's easier said than done, but don't worry in advance ...