Super Contributor

My OB GYN office left a message on my voice mail at 3:50pm on Friday to call back to discuss my Pap results...and the office closed at 4pm! Of course, I got the message at 4pm and now have to worry all weekend. Am I being too severe to say that I think this is a less than thoughtful approach and they should have waited until Monday? I am trying to keep calm but have to admit it is upsetting.

Honored Contributor

I know it's easier said than done, but I would try not to be too concerned.  My doctor called me to tell me everything was normal.  IMO if something was not quite right, the office would have called earlier.  Try to have a good weekend!!

Super Contributor

Re: Upsetting Call from GYN

[ Edited ]

@hookedonq  I would be upset too. Now you will be at home all weekend thinking about it. I am sorry about that.I know it's hard but try to think positive. I have had a bad result and they redo the test and everything is fine. 

Super Contributor

No, same thing happened to me about mammo report. Message was left on cell phone , found it at 4:30 on way home from work on Friday. No answer at office, so I pushed the button for incoming MD calls.got someone , so knew part of story. I now tell them not to call cell phone. I was so upset. Turned out to be false positive, but I still worried all weekend. If they can't say  it is not a big deal, and won't be there after hours, I think they should wait til Monday. Hope you have good luck with your results ASAP! Susi.

Trusted Contributor
they really never should have left any message saying anything about your test because of hipaa laws. if they didn't give results, it could be because of this law. I believe good or bad, they can't disclose anything. so i wouldn't jump to conclusions.
Trusted Contributor

yes knowing they close i think they should of waited... good luck... 

Honored Contributor

Yes, that is thoughtless.  I would give feedback to the doctor that it is insensitive to call and leave that message on a Friday.  Given that it has happened, more than likely it is nothing to be concerned about.  I can understand how you feel, maybe keeping active and spending time with others will lessen your concern.  Keep us up to date.

Honored Contributor

@hookedonq wrote:

My OB GYN office left a message on my voice mail at 3:50pm on Friday to call back to discuss my Pap results...and the office closed at 4pm! Of course, I got the message at 4pm and now have to worry all weekend. Am I being too severe to say that I think this is a less than thoughtful approach and they should have waited until Monday? I am trying to keep calm but have to admit it is upsetting.

My gyn did this to me once too, also on a holiday weekend when they weren't open on Monday.

They got a serious piece of my mind when I got them on the phone and her response was....wait for it..

"It just your doctor's office, I don't understand why you're so upset."

And people wonder why doctor's offices get such horrible reviews on line.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
they really never should have left any message saying anything about your test because of hipaa laws. if they didn't give results, it could be because of this law. I believe good or bad, they can't disclose anything. so i wouldn't jump to conclusions.

@willomenia   You can opt out about leaving messages (HIPPA) if you do not want them.  You sign to either get them or not get them when you engage with a doctor or hospital.  OP must have opted to receive messages on phone.  Otherwise, they would not have called and left the message, or they are creating a liabelous situation

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

I sign a release that says they can leave the information in voicemail.  I also sign they can release to my sister.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN