Respected Contributor

Re: Upper back pain in shoulder blades

[ Edited ]

@Brisky   Yes, you should definitely let the doctor know that the pain still persists and if he thinks that that is okay--what does he suggest.  

You've gotten lots of good suggestions.  Also what @hckynut said about using ice is what I would use on myself for this, instead of heat in an effort to get rid of inflammation.  Also, I think ice is a better pain killer, too, and I always use that first on a sprain or a bruise.

And I would take whatever over the counter med you can tolerate.  I have no problem with aspirin so that is what I use.

Good luck and I hope you find relief soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Brisky 

I happened upon a pair of physical therapists known as Bob & Brad that upload daily on YouTube.

I guess they've been there for a while because I've watched dozens of their videos by now. They cover physical therapy needs for the whole body.

I injured my left shoulder in 2014.

My right one started giving me pain in 2017. Doctors just shrug and say "probably rotator cuff" and that's it.

Since I found Bob & Brad I've started doing exercises they suggested and I'm having less pain and increased function, so I'm very happy to recommend them.

Here's one of their videos to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPlmEFOeK0s&app=desktop

Honored Contributor

@Brisky  Have you tried applying moist heat or ice to see which one relieves your pain?  Massage may also help you.  Do you have a place that offers massage in your area?  Or you can go to your doctor and they can order massage and insurance will cover it for an injury.  Good luck.  I hope you feel better soon.  Many years ago I had all the muscles in my back tighten up.  The pain was unbelievable and took a long time for everything to get back to normal.  I was working too many hours and I got all tensed up.  Never again.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Hi.  I suggest returning to your doctor and asking for an MRI to see what is going on with your shoulder.  Then, you and your doc can make a plan- physical therapy, pain management or surgery.

I had been having shoulder pain and had a plain xray.  It came out completely normal.  My PCP ordered an MRI.  It revealed 2 SLAP tears.  I saw an orthopedic surgeon who did my surgery on April 2nd.  Turns out I had a bone spur, 2 slap tears, a torn biceps tendon and a torn rotator cuff.  If we went with the plain xray as a diagnostic tool, it showed nothing.  Even the MRI didn't reveal the complete picture.

Wishing you the best.

Respected Contributor

It's definitely more in my upper back shoulder area. I am going back to the doctor. The pain has got worse with time! Thanks everybody.☺
Esteemed Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I had x rays already. Nothing was found. Still hurting though.

@Brisky 

Remember that x-rays (films) only allow your physician to visualize boney structures, plus a bit more, if in the area of the gut.

Dollars to donuts you have "soft tissue damage," which will require an MRI for a solid diagnosis.  MRI = soft tissue visualization and injury.

Respected Contributor

Foxxee,, I bought the Therma care patches and they worked! Thanks so much☺ still going to my doctor.