Honored Contributor

Re: Update on vaping cases. 805 cases now reported

If vaping is such a hazard why did only the flavors get banned...I read that tobacco vape was  not banned so it could be used to help smokers quit?If vaping is so dangerous why should this be a smoking cessation tool?

Honored Contributor

Washington State will be stopping the sales of flavored vaping products here very soon. I suppose it is a start... but the black market will kick in and kids will still be getting their fix regardless of vaping shops not selling it anymore.  Kids now can not purchase from a vaping shop so I do not see that new law stopping them from getting ahold of the products. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Seems the only safe vaping products are those that follow strict rules in the medical marijuana world. These and ONLY these I would feel okay doing.

I’ve been watching and waiting for further information on this point. As of yet, The Center for Disease Control has not made the distinction between medical dispensary vaping products and other vaping products. The CDC’s is recommendation to stop vaping until they know more. It’s possible that a chemical, or mechanism formerly thought of as safe, and used in both street vaping products and dispensary vaping products, could be at fault. The CDC states that they have not isolated the cause. Massachusetts has gone so far as to temporarily ban all nicotine and marijuana vaping products, this includes dispensary vaping products. The ban is in effect for four months. The state of Oregon has reported one death in a middle-aged adult that died in July that had used a vaping product containing marijuana oil purchased from a legal dispensary. 

Oregon health authorities 

As of Set. 5th, New York was stating that none of its 32 cases had come from licensed dispensaries. 

In New Hampshire, The “Daily Hampshire Gazette” has stated that the state did not regulate additives used in dispensary vaping products:

“Hampshire County’s three dispensaries — NETA, Insa and Amherst’s Rise — all said in separate statements to the Gazette that their products do not contain any vitamin E acetate.

But the state’s normally strict Cannabis Control Commission has no regulations on the additives that regulated marijuana dispensaries can use in their vape cartridges, according to The Boston Globe. Some companies, including NETA, use the food additive propylene glycol in products, for example, which some researchers have found damages the lungs.”

Esteemed Contributor

CA tested a selection of vaping solutions available through legal dispensaries and none was contaminated.  Bottom line:  if it's your choice to vape, at least do it legally.