Honored Contributor

Update on vaping cases. 805 cases now reported

“CDC today announced the updated number of confirmed and probable cases of lung injury and deaths associated with e-cigarette product use, or vaping.

Patient with Lung Injury Cases

• As of September 24, 2019, 805 confirmed and probable patient cases of lung injury associated with e-cigarette product use, or vaping, were reported by 46 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • CDC will continue to report confirmed and probable patient cases as one number because the two definitions are very similar, and this is the most accurate way to understand the number of people affected.

Deaths

• 12 deaths in 10 states:  CA (2), FL, GA, IL, IN, KS (2), MN, MO, MS, OR

For updates on the CDC investigation of the Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/lunginjury.

For information about the collection of e-cigarette products for possible testing by FDA, contact: FDAVapingSampleInquiries@fda.hhs.gov.

To communicate with CDC about this public health response, clinicians and health officials can contact: LungDiseaseOutbreak@cdc.gov.

For information on electronic cigarette products, or vaping, visit: www.cdc.gov/e-cigarettes.”

Quoted directly from the CDC. Links are from open source sites, the CDC and the FDA.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Update on vaping cases. 805 cases now reported

PART 2

“What we know
  • There are 805* lung injury cases reported from 46 states and 1 U.S. territory. Twelve deaths have been confirmed in 10 states.
  • CDC has received sex and age data on 771 patients.
    • About 69% of patients are male.
    • Nearly two thirds (62%) of patients are 18 to 34 years old; with 22% of patients between 18-21.
    • 16% of patients are under 18 years.
  • All reported patients have a history of e-cigarette product use or vaping.
  • The latest findings from the investigation into lung injuries associated with e-cigarette use, or vaping, suggest products containing THC play a role in the outbreak.
    • CDC has received data on substances used in e-cigarettes or vaping products in the 30 days prior to symptom onset among 514 patients.
      • About 77% reported using THC-containing products; 36% reported exclusive use of THC-containing products.
      • About 57% reported using nicotine-containing products; 16% reported exclusive use of nicotine-containing products.
What we don’t know
  • The specific chemical exposure(s) causing lung injuries associated with e-cigarette product use, or vaping, remains unknown at this time.
  • No single product or substance has been linked to all lung injury cases.
  • More information is needed to know whether one or more e-cigarette or vaping products, substances, or brand is responsible for the outbreak.
What CDC recommends
  • While this investigation is ongoing, CDC recommends that you consider refraining from using e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly those containing THC.
  • If you are an adult who used e-cigarettes containing nicotine to quit cigarette smoking, do not return to smoking cigarettes.
  • If you have recently used an e-cigarette or vaping product and you have symptoms like those reported in this outbreak, see a healthcare provider.
  • Regardless of the ongoing investigation:
    • Anyone who uses an e-cigarette or vaping product should not buy these products (e.g., e-cigarette or vaping products with THC or CBD oils) off the street, and should not modify or add any substances to these products that are not intended by the manufacturer.
    • Youth and young adults should not use e-cigarette, or vaping, prod­ucts.
    • Women who are pregnant should not use e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
    • Adults who do not currently use tobacco products should not start using e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
Latest Outbreak Information on Lung Injury Associated with Electronic Cigarettes, or Vaping
  • As of September 24, 2019 at 5pm, 805* lung injury cases associated with the use of e-cigarette  or vaping products have been reported to CDC from the following states and 1 U.S. territory: AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, MS, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY, and USVI. These numbers may change frequently.
  • Twelve deaths have been confirmed in California (2), Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, and Oregon.
  • The latest findings from the investigation into lung injuries associated with e-cigarette use, or vaping, suggest products containing THC play a role in the outbreak.
    • Most of the patients reported using THC-containing products or both THC-containing products and nicotine-containing products. Some of the patients reported using only nicotine-containing products.
  • All patients have a reported history of e-cigarette product use, or vaping, and no consistent evidence of an infectious cause has been discovered. Therefore, the suspected cause is a chemical exposure.
  • The specific chemical exposure(s) causing lung injuries associated with e-cigarette product use, or vaping, remains unknown at this time.
    • No single product or substance has been linked to all lung injury cases. More information is needed to know whether a single product, substance, brand, or method of use is responsible for the outbreak.
  • CDC has received sex and age data on 771 patients.
    • About 69% of patients are male.
    • Nearly two thirds (62%) of patients are 18 to 34 years old; with 22% of patients between 18-21.
    • 16% of patients are under 18 years.
  • All reported patients have a history of e-cigarette product use or vaping.
    • CDC has received data on substances used in e-cigarettes or vaping products in the 30 days prior to symptom onset among 514 patients.
      • About 77% reported using THC-containing products; 36% reported exclusive use of THC-containing products.
      • About 57% reported using nicotine-containing products; 16% reported exclusive use of nicotine-containing products.
  • CDC worked with states to create a case definition to classify confirmed and probable cases in a consistent way. State investigators determine if cases are confirmed or probable after examining the medical records of suspected patients and consulting with the clinical care team to exclude other possible causes of illness. Unlike nationally reportable conditions, these cases are requiring clinicians and public health professionals to interview patients to determine product use and individual behaviors.
  • CDC will report numbers of confirmed and probable lung injury cases once states have finalized their classification of cases.
  • States are in the process of classifying patients. We expect that states and clinicians may look back for past lung injury cases based on CDC’s case definition.
  • This complex investigation spans many states, involves hundreds of patients, and involves a wide variety of substances and e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
  • CDC continues to work closely with FDA, states, public health partners, and clinicians on this outbreak.

*The increase in lung injury cases from last week represents both new patients and recent reporting of previously-identified patients to CDC.”

Quoted from the CDC.

Honored Contributor

Part 3

“Key Facts about E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping
  • Electronic cigarettes – or e-cigarettes — are also called vapes, e-hookahs, vape pens, tank systems, mods, and electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).
  • Using an e-cigarette product is commonly called vaping.
  • E-cigarettes work by heating a liquid to produce an aerosol that users inhale into their lungs.
  • The liquid can contain: nicotine, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinoid (CBD) oils, and other substances and additives. THC is the psychoactive mind-altering compound of marijuana that produces the “high”.”

Quoted from the CDC website

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

3D2F645B-D632-4724-B99B-90F5C9749DCF.png

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D :  You just cut and paste these "alerts" to your heart's content.  The only problem is you frequently mix up street drugs with those that are from HIGHLY  REGULATED state sanctioned dispensaries.  DH has had a medical card for three years and we are both amazed at the checks and balsnces.  BTW once again I will ask "are you in the medical field?" ; I have now asked you three times to let us know from whence your medical knowledge comes?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

@Mindy D :  You just cut and paste these "alerts" to your heart's content.  The only problem is you frequently mix up street drugs with those that are from HIGHLY  REGULATED state sanctioned dispensaries.  DH has had a medical card for three years and we are both amazed at the checks and balsnces.  BTW once again I will ask "are you in the medical field?" ; I have now asked you three times to let us know from whence your medical knowledge comes?

The CDC is not sure what the cause of this problem is. My husband also is a patient at legal dispensaries in my state. They are heavily regulated. Even with care, until the CDC says it’s safe to use vaping products from dispensaries, it is wise to avoid vaping. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some people are buying illegal vape cartridges filled with street drugs and/or who knows what substances, from dealers on the street.

They pair these illegal vape cartridges with the e-cigarette delivery system, and use it to inhale these illegal substances into their lungs.

In one situation in my state the sales were being done by a student in his school.

I saw two kids going door to door in a business area selling these. The boy (about 10y/o) had dozens of home filled vaping cartridges for sale. He came up to the window of the vehicle and asked if I wanted to buy. Girl with him was about 7.

@patbz , my bet is no, absolutely not in the medical field. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@patbz wrote:

The CDC is not sure what the cause of this problem is. My husband also is a patient at legal dispensaries in my state. They are heavily regulated. Even with care, until the CDC says it’s safe to use vaping products from dispensaries, it is wise to avoid vaping. 

@Mindy D   I agree!  I know that my adult son enjoys vapping occasionally and I've been talking him out of not doing it at all right now!  Not worth it! 

All of these alerts and terrible stories of young people suddenly getting very sick has alarmed him.

Honored Contributor

Seems the only safe vaping products are those that follow strict rules in the medical marijuana world. These and ONLY these I would feel okay doing.

Honored Contributor

@patbz   I totally agree with you 110%. I just posted a couple of lines saying the exact same thing. The steps and regulations that the medical marijuana growing/processing MUST go through is just what should be happening. NO ONE touches this, gets involved without being higly scrutinized, licensed to do so.