Honored Contributor

Re: Update on the Stress of Waiting for a Diagnosis

If this issue has caused you to lose faith in your doctor, then you do need to find another doctor.

I have always handled this type of situation for my husband and I by obtaining a copy of our test results.  

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you took all this into your own hands, even as worried as you were.  To let that much time go by without appropriate action is not right and to not maintain communication with you is unprofessional .  Prayers for a healthy outcome.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

I am so sorry for your pain and suffering. I have been there. I really don't think there was good reason for your having to wait so long for results.I am a cancer survivor so I can relate a little.

Last year my husband had to take a barrage of tests. We went to the hospital for a brain scan, and when he was done he came out into the waiting room. The nurse brought out a phone to my husband and the doctor was on the phone with the results of the test. They do things much differently nowadays. I sure hope you can find a doctor who is a little more sympathetic. The waiting game is awful.

I wish you the best of luck and I am praying for you now.

Honored Contributor

I was in your same boat last year as far as the same medical issue.  My doctor was awesome about scheduling everything quickly and giving me results promptly.  Once I had to go for an MRI though, that took a few weeks to be scheduled.  But once I had the test done, she called me 2 days later, at nearly 9:00 at night, to give me my results.

I agree I think it's best you moved on and found someone you are more confident with.  Best of luck to you.          

Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear you are getting there. Some medical issues take longer than others to diagnose/decide on treatment/do necessary preparations pre-treatment/start treatment and then work on recovery.

Some can take weeks/ months or even years to fully recover. I wish you well on your issue.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@guatmum wrote:

Thanks, all, for your kind words!  I think I would have felt better about the long time everything was taking if I had gotten prompt call-backs and info from my doctor.  I think I ended up losing trust in her, something that I really need to have.

Tinkr, I really can't deal with phone calls at school.  First, I don't get "breaks."  They are actually mythical in the lives of most teachers, at least elementary ones.  My planning periods are spent on the phone with parents, at meetings, and developing curriculum with colleagues.  And because of the nature of this issue, I know that I need time to process any info that I get that might not be very positive.  Unfortunately, I work in a school where our principal gets calls from parents when the classroom teacher doesn't smile "enough."  You know, it stresses out their babies.  So, as someone who has many sick days because I've saved them for 30 years for just this kind of health issue, I need to take them any time I don't have the patience or strength to deal with cajoling a classroom of little ones with a smile on my face.  I don't want to be fired this close to retirement - LOL!

@Tinkrbl44

@guatmum

Tinkrbl144,

It is indeed the most difficult and nearly impossible task to be available for and/or return a call if one is an educator.  Though my initial experience was at the secondary level, my best loved job and the one from which I retired 2 years ago was being involved as an educator of physicians.  Talk about impossibility of returning calls!  My days were often 12, 13, 14 hour days and so calls had to be returned next day or day after that or I'd call the party briefly indicating, "Please call me on Thursday at 1045 HRS.  I'll have 10 minutes available at that time."  Folks who knew me understood.  Others thought I was having them on, which I wasn't.

All the best for "Guatmum" as she awaits her new patient appointment with a new physician.  ((((((HUGS))))))

Honored Contributor

Normally in a post like this I try to take the side of the doctor and support him , but my goodness, 7 weeks! That is indeed a long time and then he isn't returning your calls to boot. So, i think the OP did the right thing to find a different, more responsive to his patient's needs doctor. I'm sorry you have had to go through this.

Respected Contributor

When you choose a doctor, you are hiring someone to look after your health.  What are the characteristics that you would want in someone you are hiring and paying a huge salary to??  I think people should demand more of their health care professionals!!!  Good for you!!!  Hugs!!!