Valued Contributor

Update on the Stress of Waiting for a Diagnosis

So it's been 7 weeks since I had my first appt with my gyn and 5 weeks since they found a baseball-sized ovarian "cyst-like" structure and a greatly thickened endometrium via ultrasound.  My gyn has done a few other tests and each one seems to be 2 weeks away and 2 more weeks away and on and on.  For the past 2 days, I've taken off of work to wait for a phone call for the results of the CA 125 that was done on Friday.  (I have a cell phone but can't take calls as a teacher.)  After being told a few times that she would call and then having her not call and then not being able to reach her office today, I decided to go elsewhere.  I now have an appt at a top hospital in December.  They are going to evaluate the test results and then determine what should be done.  They are known for scheduling surgery and treatment quite quickly.  Though this probably won't be resolved by Christmas, I feel like I can finally relax a bit knowing that I am going to be seen by someone famous for reliability and expertise.  Whew!  I never realized health care could be such a battle!

Respected Contributor

Re: Update on the Stress of Waiting for a Diagnosis

[ Edited ]

@guatmum  My mom was diagnosed in 2008 with breast cancer and was so overwhelmed, she didn't tell me until 3 days before her surgery and did not seek a second opinion. It's good to be evaluated by another doctor to make sure the diagnosis is correct. To this day, she thinks she never had cancer but since she didn't seek another opinion she will always have the doubt. She's been cancer free ever since. 

I'm glad you now feel reassured going to a top doctor and hospital. There is no excuse not to call as advised. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@guatmum I feel your angst about waiting to hear something from someone.  More times than not, your dr may need time to put a team together, gather all of the information they know about you and your case.  I know this takes time.  My husband and I experienced this with a diagnosis for him a few years ago.

However, it's important to be patient.  It's good to know that you are taking matters into your own hands for a second opinion, tests, results.  Best to you.  It's good to know that you feel a bit better with your getting a second opinion very soon.

Trusted Contributor

@guatmum  Best wishes to you for a good and quick diagnosis that will be good news for you!

My mother-in-law is going through the same waiting game - it started about 6 weeks ago with her having a panic attack, then she got very agitated and now she only wants to sleep all day!  She's been to 4 doctors, the Emergency Room twice and a neurologist.  Hoping she has some definitive answers soon!

Let us know how you are doing and good luck and best wishes!

Esteemed Contributor

@guatmum

Guatmum,

It's unfortunate in the extreme that your physician was untimely in responding.  I really think you've done the best thing in seeking out a physician/team, top hospital and, hopefully, a spot-on diagnosis and treatment plan.  You're in my prayers, as you await that date in December.

Most patients in your position would probably not take the steps you've taken.  It takes guts to do that, because basically you're "firing" your physician.  Well, I say, if that's what it takes to turn things around for you, then that's the action required.

Trusted Contributor

My heart goes out to you and I wish you well.  I had a cancer scare recently  and I did get good news, but I just had a horrible time waiting to hear the test results.

My doc gave me the  "half full / half empty " philosophy and some spiritual thoughts on our time here. Eye opening wouldn't begin to cover it.  The waiting to hear is a hard row to hoe.

Best wishes to you.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

I think seven weeks is a bit miuch to wait to find out what is going on with you and what the appropriated treatment is.  Seeking a second opinion is a good thing  Wishing you the best!

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you decided to be decisive when your MD was'nt.

My breast cancewr surgeon makes a diagnosis in 3-5 days from time of 2nd 'bad' mammo and ultrasound. I knew from her in 1 day and had a path report 2 days later.

. My surgeon (female) is changing the way bc patients are being treated in our neck of the woods. She is greatly admired and loved (by me too!).

Honored Contributor

@guatmum wrote:

So it's been 7 weeks since I had my first appt with my gyn and 5 weeks since they found a baseball-sized ovarian "cyst-like" structure and a greatly thickened endometrium via ultrasound.  My gyn has done a few other tests and each one seems to be 2 weeks away and 2 more weeks away and on and on.  For the past 2 days, I've taken off of work to wait for a phone call for the results of the CA 125 that was done on Friday.  (I have a cell phone but can't take calls as a teacher.)  After being told a few times that she would call and then having her not call and then not being able to reach her office today, I decided to go elsewhere.  I now have an appt at a top hospital in December.  They are going to evaluate the test results and then determine what should be done.  They are known for scheduling surgery and treatment quite quickly.  Though this probably won't be resolved by Christmas, I feel like I can finally relax a bit knowing that I am going to be seen by someone famous for reliability and expertise.  Whew!  I never realized health care could be such a battle!

I am soooo sorry this has stretched out so long, but I find it hard to believe that you took 2 days off just to wait for a phone call.     Keep your phone in your pocket on vibrate and call back on your break.   

I hope it all works out just fine for you.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks, all, for your kind words!  I think I would have felt better about the long time everything was taking if I had gotten prompt call-backs and info from my doctor.  I think I ended up losing trust in her, something that I really need to have.

Tinkr, I really can't deal with phone calls at school.  First, I don't get "breaks."  They are actually mythical in the lives of most teachers, at least elementary ones.  My planning periods are spent on the phone with parents, at meetings, and developing curriculum with colleagues.  And because of the nature of this issue, I know that I need time to process any info that I get that might not be very positive.  Unfortunately, I work in a school where our principal gets calls from parents when the classroom teacher doesn't smile "enough."  You know, it stresses out their babies.  So, as someone who has many sick days because I've saved them for 30 years for just this kind of health issue, I need to take them any time I don't have the patience or strength to deal with cajoling a classroom of little ones with a smile on my face.  I don't want to be fired this close to retirement - LOL!