Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on Prayer Request for my DH, Mr. G.

@Goldenmoher wrote:

@IamMrsG I asked the same after I recovered from my transplant regarding giving blood, and for the same reason. I was told no, but that may be because my cancer was blood based. 

@Goldenmoher  We have often wondered this same thing.  My DH had MDS and BMT.  He would love to give back because of the 140 units he received from generous people who took the time.  His oncologist told him he couldn't but did not go into specifics.  Is it because of antibodies?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG  I am sorry if I missed it, but did DH get a diagnosis?  Yes, it a long road, a commitment, but hopefully to a good outcome.

The two of you continue to be in my prayers.

Super Contributor

@IamMrsG Regarding donations, my physician said there would be a slight chance of passing cancerous cells even though none are detected in my blood now. They can't take a chance

Honored Contributor

Big hugs and prayers being sent to @IamMrsG and her hubby! ❤️🙏❤️

Respected Contributor

@loveschocolate  Thank you so very much for keeping us in your heart.  

@tends2dogs  We received a phone call with the biopsy results about 10-14 days ago.  Results show, "MDS/AML evolving." Both are hard to control blood cancers.  We meet in a few days with the hematologist for our first consultation about a course of action.  With his age (70+) and the prostate cancer, I would be very surprised if a bone marrow transplant were to be available to him. 

I've done a pretty good job of keeping my emotions intact until he received an Email from an old Navy buddy. They went to VietNam together.  The friend wrote:  ". . . tonight's event was the monthly Vietnam Veterans of America meeting. . .  I mentioned what was currently going on with you.  I asked that if any of them happened to be thinking a good thought for random people, or perhaps chatting with the "ol' Man" upstairs, they might mention your name.  For what it's worth, right then and there about 70 Nam vets--Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines--bowed their heads while the Chaplain said a little something on your behalf. "  

To think of all those heroes praying for mine broke the dam. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@loveschocolate  Thank you so very much for keeping us in your heart.  

@tends2dogs  We received a phone call with the biopsy results about 10-14 days ago.  Results show, "MDS/AML evolving." Both are hard to control blood cancers.  We meet in a few days with the hematologist for our first consultation about a course of action.  With his age (70+) and the prostate cancer, I would be very surprised if a bone marrow transplant were to be available to him. 

I've done a pretty good job of keeping my emotions intact until he received an Email from an old Navy buddy. They went to VietNam together.  The friend wrote:  ". . . tonight's event was the monthly Vietnam Veterans of America meeting. . .  I mentioned what was currently going on with you.  I asked that if any of them happened to be thinking a good thought for random people, or perhaps chatting with the "ol' Man" upstairs, they might mention your name.  For what it's worth, right then and there about 70 Nam vets--Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines--bowed their heads while the Chaplain said a little something on your behalf. "  

To think of all those heroes praying for mine broke the dam. 

I can only imagine, @IamMrsG.  How blessed, to have people praying for your husband.  (and you!) There is power in prayer.  I don't think you would have asked for it if you didn't believe it, too.  There is nothing wrong in asking people for prayer. 

Next, there is nothing wrong with you not having your emotions under control every minute.  I found that when I didn't, he did, and vice versa.  I guess that goes with the territory of being together for a long time.  There is a balance of support. 

You are most likely in for a course of clinic visits (notice I said "you" because that is how it becomes).  Lean on the nurses.  They are a wealth of information.  They have much more contact and time with their patients than the doctors ever do.  They understand the drugs, side effects, and what to do.  Use them. 

Finally, there isn't anything wrong in using the internet.  When my husband was looking into transplant, I was able to find a program that did low dose pre-chemo and no radiation.  Also, a clinical trial for a drug to address graft vs host disease after tranplant.  It worked!  I contacted the doctor that headed up that trial on July 4th and he answered me!

Doctors aren't always on top of clinical trials.  They are often lead by the drug companies and standard of care protocols.  That isn't always bad, but it is good to know what else is out there.

There are forums for blood disease.  I consulted these because it was people going through this and reporting what did and didn't work for them, sharing their experiences.   The doctor hasn't had this disease. The doctor hasn't taken the chemo.  The doctor has probably never had these type of wonky blood counts.  I feel there is something to be gained from these fellow patients.

We are here for you Mrs.G and Mr. G.  Please come here for support and a little reprieve. 

Always in my prayers.

Respected Contributor

I don't mean to perpetuate this thread, but @tends2dogs, I have to say:

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG  I see it as pass it along.  We were blessed.  You will be, too.  We just don't know how or when.

I GOOGLED  MDS/AML.  I am sure that you have, too.  There was an interesting trial being done at MD Anderson using nivolumab.  Not sure what the criteria is.  A person can go cross eyed reading through all this.  Just thought I would throw it out there.  MD Anderson is an outstanding hospital.  My husband didn't go there.  We found answers at U of Michigan.  I know you will find your way.  I prayed for guidance with all this.  Prayed to be able to ask the right questions, look in the right directions. I couldn't do it alone.  I needed help from above.  We all do, even in the good times.   Researching was nothing my DH felt like doing.  He isn't wired like that anyway.  Again, a balance in partners.

Stay strong and don't let your whole focus be illness.  There are still 2 lives to be lived. 

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG  Thinking of you and just prayed. 

@tends2dogs has been amazing with thoughts, input and suggestions. It helps to talk with those who have gone through some of these things. 

And others simply care and want to offer love and prayers. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG,

I am very saddened to hear this diagnosis for your husband.   

My husband is also a veteran of Vietnam, and as his health continues to decline, we are always fearful of a cancer diagnosis.   Blood cancers are in the top 20 cancers showing up in this group of veterans; with, or without Agent Orange exposure.   If your husband is not already receiving his healthcare thru a VA facility, I strongly suggest he meet with his local VA representative to look into filing a claim, based on his diagnosis.  

Based on what my husband learned from our local representative, the VA is also expecting an increase in medical claims for several cancers in relation to the water contamination at Camp Lejeune, NC that came to light last year.   

No amount of money will fix this medical situation for your husband, but if he has been diagnosed with one of the many cancers recognized by the VA in Vietnam veterans, there is a benefit attached to his claim, which he rightly deserves.   

My very best wishes to your husband, and all who love him.