Trusted Contributor

Re: Update on 23 And Me DNA test results .....review.

@Roni18 wrote:

@

@SeaMaidenIf I understand correctly, the autosomal DNA results (the ancestry part) is measured from both your mom and dad's sides.  So your ethnicity report should be from both sides combined.  I can see relatives I share DNA with on my Dad's side on Ancestry.com.  

The 23 and me test also includes DNA testing for your haplogroup and this is the one that tests your mother's (women only) side back or for men, the father's side back.  Both my parents did that type of testing some years ago and we did the Ancestry test this year.  To clarify, I did my Ancestry test before they did their tests and I was immediately able to see that I matched DNA with relatives on my father's side that I knew about from my genealogical research.  

I have thought about doing the 23 and me test just to compare and also for the health testing.  But like you I don't know if I want the results for Alzheimer's and Parkinsons because that would probably just give me something extra to worry about.  

I am into genealogy so I am very happy that I took the Ancestry test.  It has already helped me solve one question we had about an ancestor where I had one last name for a female ancestor and my distant relatives had another and they suspected that a neighbor was her father.  I was able to do a last name search for my DNA matches and almost all my matches who had this name in their family tree came from the neighbor's family.  

@Roni18  You can get your health information from your Ancestry.com DNA test....if you decide to do it.  I decided not to.  Log into your DNA account and, on one of the pages, you will see something called "Raw Data."  You can download that info.  You would need to submit the raw data to a site like Prometheus.com. They can interpret your results. It costs between $5 and $10, depending on what results you want. And they email your report to you in less than an hour. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Re: Update on 23 And Me DNA test results .....review.

@onlyshopsonline  thanks for the information.