Super Contributor

Update On Xiidra For Dry Eyes

I've been on Xiidra since December 14th.  I went back to the doctor last week and my tear production has increased.  I no longer have the gritty feeling in my eyes and can see better.  Tear production is enough that I can schedule my Catarac surgery. I'm not looking forward to surgery, but will be looking forward to seeing clearer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update On Xiidra For Dry Eyes

@shiningstarThanks for your update.  Ziidra is on my list of topics for my nexct appointment because Restasis no longer seems to be helping and some days I was just totslly uncomfortable.

I'm so glad to hear you're going to be able to go forward with the cataract surgery -  it made a wonderful difference for me, and I know the procedure has gotten better.  I think my surgery was 12 years ago.

Respected Contributor

I also have dry eyes - not a major problem, but sometimes uncomfortable and blurry.  i heard that Restasis is quite expensive.  Is this new product any cheaper?  Just curious as to whether I should ask when I go back? I'm sure that my insurance would cover either one, but I hate to buy overpriced products - medicine or otherwise.

Regular Contributor

Happy to read this.Congratulations! I've been on Xiidra since 1/11/17 and started it between cataract surgeries. The cost is ridiculous $486 for a 30-day supply. I was able to get a sample from my eye doctor and a 30 day free supply. Medicare/supplemental insurance will not cover. I have no results as of today, but told it takes at least 6-8 weeks. Not sure what road I will take if I do get good results. This is such a common problem, you'd think paying over $300 for supplmental insurance would pick up something.

Contributor

My doctor just started me on this because Restasis after 3 years is not helping me.  Did anyone  get an bitter aftertaste with this new drug in your mouth and burning after inserting the drop?.  He said that some people stopped because of these side affects.  This is what is happening to me but I don't what the next step would be.  What other drug is out there for severe dry eye disease?

Honored Contributor

@Pasta Lover wrote:

My doctor just started me on this because Restasis after 3 years is not helping me.  Did anyone  get an bitter aftertaste with this new drug in your mouth and burning after inserting the drop?.  He said that some people stopped because of these side affects.  This is what is happening to me but I don't what the next step would be.  What other drug is out there for severe dry eye disease?

@Pasta Lover- I have my free 30 day supply, but I've been lazy and haven't started them yet. 

My doctor told me that I'd possibly have an aftertaste but didn't say anything about burning. I really need to stop being lazy and try them though. Continuing with my Restasis was pointless. I wasn't getting any improvement with that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

gidgetgh  Yes, there is a bitter after taste and a slight burning.  Also vision is blurry for awhile after the drops. My doctor told me to keep them in the refrigerator and the burning should not be as bad.