Trusted Contributor

@Pooky1 My thoughts will be with your wife as she undergoes this procedure.  I am praying you you both. 
Respected Contributor

@Pooky1    Sending good thoughts for a successful procedure and an uneventful recovery. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 

Don't know anyone that has had brain surgery. I wish your wife and yourself the very best in this surgery and her recovery.

hckynut  

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@Pooky1  Yes, unfortunately me.  I am on my 5th neurologist that I have seen.

@SloopJohnB 

Sorry to see you have the same, or similar problem. Why so many different Neurologists?  I am aware of 2nd even 3rd opinions, and have had several 2nd.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

There are several reasons for putting in a shunt. I have had a VP (ventricular peritoneal) valve for 6 years for IH...intercranial hypertension caused by encephaloceles...a congenital neural tube defect. It is above my right eye on my scalp, just a small bump and can't be seen with my hair covering it. There is a thin catheter attached under the skin where excess fluid drains and the catheter goes down to my stomach area where the fluid is absorbed into tissue. There  are several types of valves /shunts: they are different. Mine was not called brain surgery. The surgery was about three hours. No side effects except losing half a head of hair! I wish the best for your wife.