Respected Contributor

had a screening mammogram recently. It had been about eight years. Got a call back that it didn't look right. Had more extensive imaging done today. It's not a lump. It is microcalcifications. The radiologist deemed the results as "suspicious"and I'm to have a biopsy early next week. I'm nervous about the procedure and worried about the outcome. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Re: Upcoming biopsy

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

had a screening mammogram recently. It had been about eight years. Got a call back that it didn't look right. Had more extensive imaging done today. It's not a lump. It is microcalcifications. The radiologist deemed the results as "suspicious"and I'm to have a biopsy early next week. I'm nervous about the procedure and worried about the outcome. 

@fairydogmother 

Don't be.  I had that about 16 years ago and I had biopsies more than one time because both the surgeon and radiologist said "suspicious." It was some kind of cystic calcification.  About two years ago, I had another such thing and it was said not to be suspicious but cancer.  I had several biopsies, again but I ignored it for 1-1/2 years.  Finally, I had it removed. 

It was indeed cancer but it was still early enough that I am going to live.  Remember you have a lot of sisters here and there with you and many of us (1/8) have or will go through this in our lifetime and we will stick together.  Just don't be scared.  There are so many more new treatments for breast cancer, even if it is than was a few years ago and if the calcifications were small and turn out to be cancer.  They are small.  Just remember.  Small is better.  Let us hear back from your biopsies.  We will be pulling for you for negative biopsies.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday  thank you for the encouraging words. There is no history of breast cancer in my family. It literally never occurred to me that I would ever have to be concerned. Yes of course I will keep you posted. 
sidebar: I'm just four weeks away from my 73 birthday. My experience being in my early seventies has been marked by the onset of significant medical problems. The downside of retirement. But I have a happy life and and I'm grateful to be alive every day. 😍

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother : So sorry that you are dealing with this. I will be praying for you. I have received so much information and information from the loving and precious people on these forums.🤗❤🙏🙏🙏

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee  thank you. So sweet of you. 🥰

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Re: Upcoming biopsy

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother :  I totally understand. Thank you. Happy Early Birthday. I will be 70 in July and currently dealing with various health issues..🎉🎈🎁💐

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother, I think biopsies have become fairly common. And as @Nonametoday pointed out, if it proves to be a concern, then it will be caught early.

I know it's easy for me to say, not to worry until you have something to worry about, but I've found worrying about something still unknown and which I have no control over only makes me lose sleep and not enjoy my meals. That's not good for overall health.

Don't be too concerned about the procedure. Was it explained to you? 

You're being proactive and that's all you can do at this point. 

Best wishes, hoping for the best of outcomes.

Honored Contributor

I had a core needle biopsy and I was scared to death.  The biopsy wasn't bad at all.  After the tissue was taken, a metal marker was inserted so that in the future they could check that area throughly.

The worse part was the waiting for the results.  I was cancer free, but it shook me up.  Breast cancer does run in my family.

I had a papilloma.  The doctor who performed the biopsy wanted me to have surgery to remove part of my breast, but after talking with the breast surgeon, I decided not to.

I just get a mammogram and ultrasound every year.  So, far, so good.

I know this is a trying time for you.  It's scary.  Hang in there.  I am sending prayers and well wishes your way.

Valued Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Microcalcifications are pretty common. I took a girlfriend to have biopsies of calcifications. I think she had something like 8 biopsies. None showed any signs of cancer. And she never developed cancer or anything else that was suspicious in subsequent years. Afterwards she claimed the procedures were no big deal. My advice: don't worry about it. Of course you will, but try not to worry. Hugs to you! 

Super Contributor
My cousin had calcifications and had to have a biopsy and she was fine! Good luck honey and I know how difficult this time is for you. I always stress BIG time over my mammograms. I had a cyst once. I will keep you in my prayers!