Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori, wishing you all the best. It sounds like you did your research selecting an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in this and has good reviews. I believe the benefits of the surgery will greatly improve your quality of life. The discomfort of surgery and the healing process take patience, but it is for a limited time and then you can resume a better life.

Valued Contributor

Re: Upcoming Bunion surgery

[ Edited ]

I have a fused big toe due to arthritis. I can't wear any heel height. Just flats. I can't wear shoes that put the weight on my toes. I can't wear clogs or sandals that you grab with your toes or that are slides. Because it's too much pressure on that fused toe. I find Drew brand shoes with their stiff sole work best for me. Anything that is too flexible makes that fused toe hurt and swell. I had a mostly sitting job but often on my feet. My boss at the time insisted I wait too long to have the surgery and then demanded I be on my feet after the two weeks I took off. She was very self absorbed. It took me 9 months to heal and even now, years later, the fusion occasionally aches. I have to keep that toenail clipped just right. Too short and the tip of the toe hurts where they insert the wire for the fusion. It's healed but it's sensitive. Too long and it puts weird pressure on that area, too. When it's really cold, and I walk barefoot, I can feel the metal piece in the bone. In a hot bath, I can feel the metal heat up. I am sensitive and I just notice this. It's not bad, just odd. I had an excellent foot surgeon, too. I have a lot of foot arthritis which adds to the foot pain. My foot pain is less after the surgery! I went to an MD, an orthopedic surgeon. I would not go to a DPM which many people have surgery with. Your doctor sounds like a skilled one and you've done your homework. I'd say expect to need different shoes at work afterwards. Like with more padding or a stiff sole or no heal. Depends on how you heal, we are all different. Oh, and I went to the Accupuncture guy to help reduce the toe swelling at about a year post surgery. It still seems to swell a little. It's bothering me again this summer but I've been wearing too flexible of shoes lately. I need stiff soles, even in my slippers. I use Voltaren gel on the toe at times. I had more pain after surgery than most people due to my long wait to be allowed time off for the surgery and my general foot arthritis. Good luck to you. PS: I forgot to say get a plastic cover for your leg for people with casts. Found on Amazon and in drugstores. Use it in the shower. I used a shower chair and propped my foot up on the side of the tub. 

Trusted Contributor

Just a suggestion, but if you haven't done it already I recommend asking your doctor to sign an application for a temporary handicapped parking permit.

I did that for all three of my foot surgeries and boy was I glad to have it.  

Good luck with your surgery.

Respected Contributor

Be ultra careful about following instructions to prevent infection. My good friend had this surgery, had a plate put in and shortly after the plate broke and needed re-adjustment. After that she starting feeling poorly, feverish.  Sure enough she had a bone infection (osteomyelitis) and then required weeklong hospitalization followed by a 4 week at-home twice daily IV antibiotic treatment regimen, with constant bloodwork to monitor. Very difficult recovery and it is never completely gone. Can recur anytime.  Thank goodness her husband helped her daily with the IV treatments.  Just be careful and ultra vigilant. This is a rare thing though, so don't worry, just be aware.  Best wishes! 

Super Contributor

So I had my bunion surgery two weeks ago. All went well. But...OUCH!!  When the nerve block wore off I hit the ceiling. Thank goodness for the pain meds. 

Very minimal pain now and I'm on the mend. Healing well. I'm almost walking normal with no cane or crutches. I'm so happy I had this done. My foot looks great. A shoutout to a great doctor.  

Trusted Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

So I had my bunion surgery two weeks ago. All went well. But...OUCH!!  When the nerve block wore off I hit the ceiling. Thank goodness for the pain meds. 

Very minimal pain now and I'm on the mend. Healing well. I'm almost walking normal with no cane or crutches. I'm so happy I had this done. My foot looks great. A shoutout to a great doctor.  

@Ditzydori  How was it done?  Please explain even if it sounds gory.  It's important to me because I've been putting it off for a long time and would love to have it done.  For example, did he shave down the protruding bone and then ????  Please go into detail.  Thank you. 

Super Contributor

All I know is that I had a toe fusion. I'm heal bearing. I had a number of procedures done on my toe. 2 hammer toes and a bunionette fixed as well. 

From the X-rays it appears he put what looks like a clamp on my big toe to hold it together in a straight position until it fuses together. 

Honored Contributor

I watched My Feet Are Killing Me last night.  Very graphic bunion surgery shown, I had to keep switching out.  But if you get this on streaming and are up for surgery I'd watch this.  This woman was a dancer of some sort, ballet I think.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ditzydori So glad to read your surgery went well.  I have some issues (a painful big toe joint, a second hammertoe) that may require surgery but have always been afraid of it.  I have had the pain in the big toe joint forever, but just never went to have it looked at because my toe area is wide as it is, and it is hard to find shoes, so I will probably have to wear some kind of box for a shoe!  And I love shoes!  I do wear the widest shoes I can find that are decent looking and won't fall off my foot because my heel is narrow.

I would love to see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in foot surgery like you did, but have not found any in my area just looking online.  I live in NYC and there must be millions of them!  I have seen too many horror stories with podiatric surgeons.  How did you find your surgeon?

Best wishes for your recovery.

Super Contributor

Re: Upcoming Bunion surgery

[ Edited ]

i am very sure you can find an orthopedic surgeon for feet in NYC. Try Hospital for Special Surgery.  NYC is known for having the best doctors and hospitals. 

I googled podiatric orthopedic surgeon. I then looked for great 5 star reviews. I also asked my pcp if he knew and recommended the surgeon I picked. Turns out he did and said he was excellent, which he was. 

My surgeon used to work in NYC but came to Florida (where I live) because of his wife's family. When he told me that, I  was even happier because he came from NYC. I'm quite sure you will find a surgeon there. 

Don't let the horror stories scare you.  Everything has horror stories. But I bet there are way more success stories. I had 2 knee replacements. I heard horror stories galor. I did just fine. With this surgery I didn't need shower chair, was on crutches, heal bearing for about 1 1/2 weeks. Then cane for 1 1/2 weeks. Now I'm not using anything and my limp is minimal. I started driving at 2 weeks with no problem. (Yes, surgery was on my right foot)

I wish you luck.