Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@tsavorite 

A gulp is a huge swallow, the opposite of little sips

@tsavorite wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

@marzi 1    I don't know what kind of surgery you have had.  First, you must keep up with bowel movements and how much solid foods you consume.  You should go to the bathroom at least every other day.  Taking a diuretic or meds that cause extra fluid extraction will cause the lower bowels to get dry and not let things run smoothly.  Don't let things get bad before you try remedies and laxatives.  Drink a lot of fluids.  Caffine acts like a diuretic and causes more fluid loss.  Water is good to sip on all day long.  Eating too much fiber without drinking a lot of fluids will stop you up.  If there is a fruit or vegetable that automaticly causes a bowel movement for you, keep that in the menu.  Exercise and moving about as much as you can will help.  For very fast relief of constipation, try phillips milk of magnesia, liquid, not tablets.  There are other brands, liquid milk of magnesia.  If you are in trouble, drink down five big gulps and immediately drink down lots of water.  Stay close to the bathroom because it works fast and will give you a good bowel relief.  The more water the better.  This helps people who are on pain management because they have a lot of trouble with constipation.  Best to call your doctor or nurse to discuss this because it could interact with medications you are on.  I am expecting a lot of fall out from this.  Hope it helps.

@Sweet Caroline 1  what are big gulps?  I can only think of large pops sold at 7-11

OMGOODNESS LOL! I just read the post again and your response and I now see what or how I was misunderstanding it!  The poster was saying to drink down 5 big gulps of the milk of magnesia LOL!  Then water....boy I was so confused when I saw Big Gulp and thought of 7-11 drinksWoman LOL

Valued Contributor

Re: Unpleasant subject

[ Edited ]

I love the squatty potty. Got mine at Target. It relaxes the colon area so passage is easier. This happens to me from the anesthesia and the narcotics. Every time, even short day surgery with only one narcotic pill per day. Drink a lot of water and eat veggies and fruit. I do use over the counter stool softeners when I get home and suffer through the cramping they cause. You should be asking your doctor, they need to know. Being too empacted can be dangerous. We have a reflexology spot on the bottom of the feet right above the heel. Gently massage each foot there. Oh, and I take a probiotic every day for general intestinal health. There is an herbal tea available in grocery stores called smooth move by Traditional Medicinals. The key is not to wait, but start the intestinal interventions immediately. I hope you are doing better!

Valued Contributor

I just remembered magnesium. Take an epsom salt bath the night before surgery. If you can take real baths after surgery, also do the Epsom salts. Or take a magnesium supplement, I like Calm brand. When you take enough, you get loose stools. It's good for muscle cramps, also. 

Honored Contributor

@marzi 1 

The three most "effortless" remedies are either Milk of Magnesia,  liquid or tablets.   Colace 2-IN-1 (or generic) which is a combo stool softener & mild lax ......   or good old Swiss Kriss, which is an all natural gentle laxative, always found in health food stores, among other places.

Just curious .... what did your MD recommend?

Honored Contributor

When I  was a teen I had an operation to remove my appendix. After the operation I got backed up and couldn't go. I could feel it right there like it was about to come out but it was so rock hard that it got stuck and wouldn't move. My mom, bless her heart, came to my rescue and literally reached down and pulled the plug out. 

Valued Contributor

When you get up [1 half hour before breakfast] Drink 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in 1 cup of hot water. If this is tpp tart add a little sugar or honey. This will work and is safe.

cathy from ma

Super Contributor

Thanks assert Charlotte..tried the milk of magnesia....more than recommended dosage plus class 2 and 1..that helped..That is also what Dr.recommended.  Not so easy to chug the milk of magnesia.. Ha. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

Honored Contributor

@Shepherd wrote:

Please we aren't MD's on this forum. This topic needs to be discussed with you doctor.

Oh my what a comment on a Wellness board where posters share experiences ect...

Some bedside manner.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@marzi 1 wrote:

Thanks assert Charlotte..tried the milk of magnesia....more than recommended dosage plus class 2 and 1..that helped..That is also what Dr.recommended.  Not so easy to chug the milk of magnesia.. Ha. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

@marzi 1  I can't stand drinking that stuff, either!   Milk Of Magnesia also comes in a tablet form & is available in the brand name or a generic version.  The generic is cheap (I buy Walmart's Equate generic version) & I take it in place of a magnesium supplement with my daily vitamins & it helps keep things moving!

Honored Contributor

I was having problems after a colonoscopy and barium enema.  Doc told me to use Milk of Magnesia.  I did for six days, nothing.  Then I tried Metamcil to add bulk and Miralax.  It worked.  I have refined this over the years to one heaping teaspoon of Metamucil and one measuring cap of Miralax.  I mix this into milk or juice.    Success every morning after my morning coffee.  If you don't drink coffee I'd add one cup to your morning breakfast.  The Miralax hint I got right on this board, someone's doctor told her it was OK to use every day.  If there is some downside to this routine it sure beats hemmorrhoids and discomfort so I'll suffer the consequences.