Super Contributor

Any ideas on how to prevent fecal impact while recovering from surgery? After one episode trying anything and everything to not go thru this again..This was not constipation,if you have had this you know.I was following all guidelines with stool softeners..etc and for 10 days after surgery, nothing.after one horrible night with drinking solutions and enemas..somewhat ok..just looking for anyone who may have had similar issue,I will try anything to prevent this . Thank.   So sorry for the subject matter

Regular Contributor

Please we aren't MD's on this forum. This topic needs to be discussed with you doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unpleasant subject

[ Edited ]

A family member is prone to this (for no apparent reason) and softeners sometimes are not the answer.

Don't wait so long next time.  They can fix you up in the ER.

Talk to your doctor about what you can be given in the hospital and what to use at home.  You already know to drink plenty etc.

Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Honored Contributor

I had surgery "down there" so going to the bathroom was rough going especially with the constipation. The best thing that workrd for me was prune juice. 

Esteemed Contributor

@marzi 1 wrote:

Any ideas on how to prevent fecal impact while recovering from surgery? After one episode trying anything and everything to not go thru this again..This was not constipation,if you have had this you know.I was following all guidelines with stool softeners..etc and for 10 days after surgery, nothing.after one horrible night with drinking solutions and enemas..somewhat ok..just looking for anyone who may have had similar issue,I will try anything to prevent this . Thank.   So sorry for the subject matter

I just googled because I was curious about what you were talking about.  I am not a doctor and I can't give you medical advice.  I have never had this codition, but I have had significant abdominal surgery, and I am thinking 2 directions I received from the doctors that may help you.  Get off the opioids fast!  Opiods cause loss of bowel movement.  And start moving.  My doctors had me wlaking around the hospital with my IV, which I did.  If you are not wheelchair bound, walk as much as you can.  That helped me recover from my surgeries.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Years ago, many  years ago, they didn't let you leave until you had a movement..

However today, with their treat em and street em attitude,,, thats not the case...

Not sure what surgery you had but I would say in the stomach area,

Colace never worked for me,,, a half teaspoon of mineral oil did the trick, but the others are correct, you should speak to the doctor first,,,, I know the feeling, I feel your pain......

Citrus Magnesium also works, it breaks it all down to a liquid, so there is no hard pushing....

Esteemed Contributor

and ugh, I forgot about the prune juice.  I had that too!  Ugh!  Agree with @GenXmuse.

Esteemed Contributor

Dulcolax Suppositories.

Honored Contributor

@marzi 1    I don't know what kind of surgery you have had.  First, you must keep up with bowel movements and how much solid foods you consume.  You should go to the bathroom at least every other day.  Taking a diuretic or meds that cause extra fluid extraction will cause the lower bowels to get dry and not let things run smoothly.  Don't let things get bad before you try remedies and laxatives.  Drink a lot of fluids.  Caffine acts like a diuretic and causes more fluid loss.  Water is good to sip on all day long.  Eating too much fiber without drinking a lot of fluids will stop you up.  If there is a fruit or vegetable that automaticly causes a bowel movement for you, keep that in the menu.  Exercise and moving about as much as you can will help.  For very fast relief of constipation, try phillips milk of magnesia, liquid, not tablets.  There are other brands, liquid milk of magnesia.  If you are in trouble, drink down five big gulps and immediately drink down lots of water.  Stay close to the bathroom because it works fast and will give you a good bowel relief.  The more water the better.  This helps people who are on pain management because they have a lot of trouble with constipation.  Best to call your doctor or nurse to discuss this because it could interact with medications you are on.  I am expecting a lot of fall out from this.  Hope it helps.

Respected Contributor

shot of prune juice with mineral oil in it.