Honored Contributor

Re: Unnecessary prescription peeps, get this!

[ Edited ]

Happened to me several years ago.  Meds were sitting at the pharmacy for a couple of months.  Didn't know about anything until I received a summary of services.  I said: 'Say what'?   I notified them that I hadn't a clue, and I told them to cancel, and take it off of my chart.  Longer story, but it was eventually removed from my chart, just in case.   Well, that's why it's a good idea to review those summaries.  Make sure services listed were actually done.  We don't want any meds or services listed on our charts that haven't been done. .......... p.s.  I wasn't angry, just surprised.   Probably some sort of mix-up at the office.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Wow, okay guys, for the record, if it really matters:

1.  Not a scam.  

It was called in/submitted/faxed by the ortho office without my knowledge which is what blindsided me.  Doctors have to remember that, although they know what's coming down the road, I don't.  This may be their 5,000th broken wrist.  It's my first.  

I had no idea until you guys told me that drug therapy is necessary with PT.  I don't even know what PT entails or that doctor's call in prescriptions to go with it.  A heads up from them would have been nice.  

2.  The Pharmacy Place was actually called The Pharmacy Place.  

Obviously a mail order facility.  Never heard of them but I know mail order is becoming more common and cheaper for everyone all around.  Another reason a heads up for patients would be nice.

3.  My nationality, tone of post, etc were meant to be humorous.  I know a broken bone pales in comparison to what others here have going on, but this hasn't been much fun.  If my attempt at humor to lift my spirits is not your cup of tea, I really am very funny.  Trust me.  Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy     

It's a GREAT thing you guys are so helpful to me.  I love the information even with the spunk. Heart 

You are correct that the ortho should have told you about the prescription, however, this is standard practice post fracture.  The cast you have had has immobilized your wrist joint and to a certain extent "rested" the local tendons, ligaments, and muscles.

When the cast comes off those tendons, ligaments, and muscles have to start working again just in normal movement.  Even with a brace, even though the brace will help, the associated musculoskeletal area will now have to work.  That in and of itself can cause some inflammation.  Think about how one gets sore after they participate in some type of exercise when they haven't exercised in a while.

Add physical therapy to that and inflammation has an even greater chance to occur.  Inflammation can cause pain.  Both of these can cause prolonged rehabilitation to restore normal range of motion for the wrist.

If you are not going to take the medication, I would suggest that you  call the ortho's office and let them know you refused the prescription.  They need to update their office records.  If something happens and you need that med, their records will indicate a prescription was sent and it could be a headache for everyone involved trying to get everything straightened out. 

Good luck with PT and glad you are not having any pain right now!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

all of our doctors have the name, address, and phone numbers of our pharmacy that we use for prescriptions.

i find it strange that your doctor called/faxed THE PHARMACY PLACE (which you said you have never heard of) and gave them your prescription. i would definitely ask your doctors office why they gave a prescription for you to a place that you dont even use.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Fill the darn Rx and keep it handy.  You might not need it now but some day you might.  It's really not that big of a deal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would call the doctors office.  Someone could have made a mistake and called it in on the wrong patient.  Someone else may be waiting for pain medication. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you've never had physical therapy for anything before, you wouldn't necessarily know how painful it is.

The exercises they have you do will cause inflammation and pain.  You may not feel it while you are doing the exercises, but you will probably feel it at 3 am and nothing in your medicine cabinet will do squat to help you.

Get the prescription filled.  You will be very glad you did.

Also, when you go to PT and they offer you ice after your session, definitely take it.  It makes a huge difference in pain and inflammation.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

151949, There was a time when a narcotic prescription had to be hand written delivered  to the pharmacy

@151949 wrote:

They can't send narcotics in electronically - they require a WRITTEN Rx.And in most states you have to show ID & sign for them when you pick them up so they could not be mailed either.

You should reconsider refusing this Rx because if PT causes inflammation it is going to set you back as well as being painful.That is what the doctor is trying to avoid.

by the patient.  Not anymore.  The pain management clinic I go to now sends the script electronically to the pharmacy, I don't even see it let alone carry it in my hand.  Times are a changing. Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Still not accepting it.  I have my first bottle of prescription NSAIDs from day of and a  tramadol bottle unopened.  I'm all stocked up.    

Good for you.  I understand doctors can earn a commission by prescribing certain drugs.  Your doctor's office may be a little aggressive in that respect.

@ValuSkr

You say: "I understand doctors can earn a commission by prescribing certain drugs". I have 2 doctors in family and know many as good friends. None of the doctors, I know well, would risk losing their license to practice, to earn "a commission by prescribing certain drugs".

hckynut(john)

@hckynut wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Still not accepting it.  I have my first bottle of prescription NSAIDs from day of and a  tramadol bottle unopened.  I'm all stocked up.    

Good for you.  I understand doctors can earn a commission by prescribing certain drugs.  Your doctor's office may be a little aggressive in that respect.

@ValuSkr

You say: "I understand doctors can earn a commission by prescribing certain drugs". I have 2 doctors in family and know many as good friends. None of the doctors, I know well, would risk losing their license to practice, to earn "a commission by prescribing certain drugs".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(John)...thank you for your comment. I have a nephew who is a doctor and I am sure he would be appalled by that accusation.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Thanks all!  I have an appointment with the ortho the day before I start PT so there will be an opportunity to clear anything up, if necessary.  

One of the reasons that I get militant about protecting myself and demanding full information so I can make my own medical decisions is because no one else will do it for me.  I am all alone.  Just me.  

And I am a little me and medication and even non medication affects me very strongly because I am and always will be kid size.  I have had family members accidentally overmedicated several times because a medical person didn't slow down and take into account that they don't have a normal size person in front of them.  

This is not my primary care doctor.  He knows nothing about me or my history.  In fact, he asked me to take a calcium supplement with Vitamin D during the first appointment.  I fought him a bit on it since I already eat heavy for that plus take a good amount of Vitamin D as prescribed by my primary but he insisted.  

A week later, I had a horrible ulcer which was worse than my broken wrist.  I was right and I know my body and how much it needs.  This was too much.  When that same person then prescribed a drug I know nothing about or why it's being given to me, I would be a fool not to protect myself again from an even stronger substance.     

And that's not animosity towards a doctor or profession.  That's being an informed patient.   If anyone thinks I am trying to bash or discredit, so, so wrong.   In a few months, I'll be a part of it and one of them.

I'm glad I stepped up and refused a drug until someone informs and counsels me as to what and why I am taking it.  I personally need that comfort level, and in my opinion, so should everyone else when a new medication is given out.

It's the number one rule of dispensing that counsel MUST be offered to the patient.   It was violated all the way around here from the doctor to the pharmacy and I'm making the personal choice to hold them accountable for that.  Prescriptions can always be resubmitted.  For me, you talk to me first and then prescribe.  That's the only thing that works for me.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo. You and I are a lot alike. Hope you feel better soon, friend. ♥