Honored Contributor

Re: Unnecessary prescription peeps, get this!

@mousiegirl  I am a rebel too!  I respect the medical profession immensely but because of issues like I've mentioned here such as non-communication and overmedication, I try my best to cure myself quite often.  Saves aggravation, time and money.  

Not the smartest but it's worked for me.  This is actually the first time I asked for help because I had a feeling I had probably broken something and I knew that could be dangerous if it was.  I'm not sorry I went but I think I could have done a lot of this on my own.  I might be watching way too much Bonanza.  

Honestly at this point, (this is ridiculous and do NOT take this advice) but I think my trip to urgent care could have been it.  The ortho did nothing but a cast which frankly I think worked just as well as the brace I'm back to wearing now after 3 weeks.  Could have saved myself $250 and counting.

Better safe than sorry but I love that the human body's natural processes and your own gut instincts really give you the best medicine available.          

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

So I have my cast taken off two days ago.  He checks my wrist, gives me permission to wear a brace for two weeks and a therapy referral.

@Laura14

They are a bit too free with pain meds ...

A while back (1990) I had some outpatient surgery on my left arm - I got a prescription for pain meds.  I took one and felt like I was flying ... tossed the rest of the bottle.

Then, a few years later (2003), I fell and broke my arm ... same deal with the prescription.  I had to wait a week before surgery - and was in a brace - so pain was bearable.  I wasn't about to take the pain meds.  After surgery - doc told me to take Tylenol!

Lastly (2010) - I had a tooth pulled and they gave me a precription for meds in the package of stuff (gauze, etc.).  I found it when I got home.  I called and told them I was ripping up the prescription.  

Tylenol works just fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA  Not sure if this is true but my sister's mother in law said that a doctor told her if you never took medicine, it will never really work for you because your body has adapted without it.  

Good for you for just doing the bare minimum.  Not everyone can or would want to do that and it sounds like you had a way worse injury than me too.