Trusted Contributor

Re: UnableTo Find Adult Thermometers Anywhere

@cuddlesmamaWe have a small farm and I remembered that I had purchased a couple extra digital pet thermometers.  They work just as good as ones sold for humans. 

Esteemed Contributor

Though we have a mercury thermometer and several digital ones, the digital ones really must be used with a plastic sheath "made to size" and I just hate creating more plastic waste.

So...at the beginning of this, I jumped at the opportunity to finally purchase an IR (infra-red) thermometer and we're both very comfortable using it, pleased to finally have a device that doesn't require touching the skin or placement in the mouth.  It's quite accurate, is very light and it takes perhaps 3 seconds to take your temp - from beginning to end of process.  

Both of us highly recommend the use of IR thermometers.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SeaMaiden   Our Dollar Store sells 2 in a pack thermoneters for a buck.  Also plenty of flushable baby wipes.

Are your Dollar Stores still open?  Ours are closed.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

My sister tried ordering two forehead thermometers a few weeks ago from Amazon but they tried to charge her $53 in shipping.  Not a Prime member, but I have always got free shipping after $25. Needless to say, she did not order.  I offered her my digital Walmart thermometer that I have had for years.  Sorry $53 to ship is price gouging.  Not an amazon fan. 

@lynnie61 

Are you sure that it's  from Amazon and not one of their third party sellers. That's really high for shipping. 

Respected Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

My sister tried ordering two forehead thermometers a few weeks ago from Amazon but they tried to charge her $53 in shipping.  Not a Prime member, but I have always got free shipping after $25. Needless to say, she did not order.  I offered her my digital Walmart thermometer that I have had for years.  Sorry $53 to ship is price gouging.  Not an amazon fan. 

That's terrible! I thought Amazon was cracking down on the gougers.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

Part of my job as a nurse with the Department of Health is interviewing Covid-19 positive patients, and many of them never had a fever, others had no symptoms. Please monitor yourselves for other symptoms, but be aware that you could be Covid-19 positive and have no symptoms. Stay well everybody.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

....... the old school mercury type that I had to shake.

=====

That's all I have @Scooby Doo , it must be 50 years old. I thought I'd better upgrade, but there's nothing available.

Super Contributor

Although the delivery date Amazon gave me was weeks away, my two thermometers arrived much :::::::::faster.

Unfortunatley, the register in only Centigrade and the battery 

reading is Low.

I did request a partial refund, but Seller refunded total of $18+.

The odd thing....one was in a case within its own box, the other was a different brand/label box with no case.

Both boxes appeared to have been opened before, although I could not prove it.

I just felt uneasy all the way around.

On a more positive note, I did receive quickly a package of 50  blue 

masks for $20.  They appear well made, with 3-layers.

I wear one with a cloth mask over top of it.

The Seller only had the one package available, which was packaged nicely with a thick zipper type envelope.

Inside was a “receipt “ typed in Chinese, but the Seller shipped within USA.

I think the Seller had purchased a quantity from China early on and 

sold extra inventory via Amazon.

The price was very reasonable, which made me think it was a hoax, 

but I did communicate w Seller and received reassurance.

Once masks arrived my fears disappeared.

One DD is severely compromised, another is a healthcare essential worker,

and her Father is also severely compromised, so I have enough to

distribute, thankfully.

To sum up:  A tip I received is to go to CVS “feminine products “ area and look for an OVULATION thermometer. I was advised the temperature reading is within a half degree of accuracy.

Good enough......if they have any available!!

(I assume Walgreens/etc. would offer similar thermometers).