Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:
Different factors play into whether or not the exam would be painful. These include the age of the patient (i.e.) whether pre-or-post menopause, the condition of the, hmm, areas actually touched by the wand, active infections, the overall condition of the patient (i.e.) does being moved hurt the patient, and the skill of the tech. For example, some women (typically post-menopause) experience pain during inter-cours@) due to atrophy; and some people are more sensitive concerning dental visits. (BTW, my tech had me insert the wand, but took it from there.) I found it uncomfortable but not painful. However, I could shoot out of the dental chair and hit the ceiling when getting my teeth cleaned.

@MarieIG

Everything you said that I bolded is true with me.  First, I have severe RA; second, I will be 80 in January; third, I am very dry and narrow down there and warned her of that (mind you, I am not blaming the tech for this being so painful); third, I have had chronic UTIs all of my life; fourth, they don't know what this is yet and the four ultrasounds will hopefully show what is going on; fifth, I have a very high pain threshold, so if something is that painful, there is probably something more than a UTI going on.

Thank you for your open mind and thoughtful post. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrasounds

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@LilacTree@MarieIG. I was just going to post I think LT age is against her as far as skin and soreness issues. Be sure and tell them how uncomfortable this made you

Yes, I was a care taker for my parents (one through cancer and resulting radiation burns/ one through a paralysis and constantly fighting off pressure ulcers) and the skin issues were heart-braking.

@MarieIG@cherry

Oh Cherry/MarielG (I am unsure which of you wrote the second paragraph), how tragic.  I stayed with my mom up in north Jersey the last four months of her life.  I was living in VA at the time and brought my two youngest babies with me (two months old and 16 months old).  I had to leave my four-and a half-year old and three-year old babies with their father.  I missed them so much and they would cry when we talked on the phone.  They were too young to understand why I had to be away from them.

My mom was able to talk the first two months, and I was able to give her baths.  I had to disguise my devastation at the sight of her.  She knew she was near the end (lung cancer) but she never complained. 

The final two months were terrible when it had spread to her brain, so I can empathize.  But I'm sure you will agree, we will never regret it.  I was with her in the hospital sitting next to her bed when she finally passed.  I will never regret that either.  No one else came, they waited for me to come home and tell them she was gone.  No cell phones in those days, plus I didn't want to tell them over the phone anyway.

One never forgets such times, as I know you don't either.  I am now the sick one.  I know all the illnesses I have, but I don't know what this is now.  However, I am still grateful for my long life.

Thank you both for your consistent support.  You are kind people. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree  After writing my post I saw that you had already had the test.  I am sorry it wasn't a good experience.  I am wondering if anyone has ever mention D Mannose to you for chronic UTI's.  It is a simple sugar that prohibits bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.  It can be taken everyday, long term with no side effects.  It comes in a capsule or in powder form. My mother took it for a couple years because of UTI's caused from wearing Depends and being in bed most of the time.  It helped tremendously.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to have another ultrasound and that you will find relief soon.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@LilacTree  After writing my post I saw that you had already had the test.  I am sorry it wasn't a good experience.  I am wondering if anyone has ever mention D Mannose to you for chronic UTI's.  It is a simple sugar that prohibits bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.  It can be taken everyday, long term with no side effects.  It comes in a capsule or in powder form. My mother took it for a couple years because of UTI's caused from wearing Depends and being in bed most of the time.  It helped tremendously.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to have another ultrasound and that you will find relief soon.

@tends2dogs

I had never heard of D Mannose until this recent issue.  My daughters are going to get it for me.  I think my doctor mentioned it also.  Definitely going to try it.  Thank you!!

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

Oh Cherry/MarielG (I am unsure which of you wrote the second paragraph), how tragic.  I stayed with my mom up in north Jersey the last four months of her life.  I was living in VA at the time and brought my two youngest babies with me (two months old and 16 months old).  I had to leave my four-and a half-year old and three-year old babies with their father.  I missed them so much and they would cry when we talked on the phone.  They were too young to understand why I had to be away from them.

My mom was able to talk the first two months, and I was able to give her baths.  I had to disguise my devastation at the sight of her.  She knew she was near the end (lung cancer) but she never complained. 

The final two months were terrible when it had spread to her brain, so I can empathize.  But I'm sure you will agree, we will never regret it.  I was with her in the hospital sitting next to her bed when she finally passed.  I will never regret that either.  No one else came, they waited for me to come home and tell them she was gone.  No cell phones in those days, plus I didn't want to tell them over the phone anyway.

One never forgets such times, as I know you don't either.  I am now the sick one.  I know all the illnesses I have, but I don't know what this is now.  However, I am still grateful for my long life.

My heart hurts for what you went through with your mother; and for what you are suffering now.  With my parents, logistically, it was easier for me in that my parents lived close, and I did get to kiss my babies every night, even if they were sleeping when I got home (and yes I cried if I didn't make it home before they went to sleep); and I had support from DH (no siblings).  What my parents went through, was torturous; mom got sick first and was suffering two years with colon cancer. (There was a point during Mom's treatment that Dad got a prosatate cancer diagnosis - which turned out to be treatable, and I doubled over screaming uncontrollaby.) For Mom, there were seven surgeries and radiation burns.  She would still smile the moment I walked into her room.  After she was hosptialized, I seemed to cause her less pain than the nurses, so I took over a lot of her care.  I could move her better. (By that time there was a colostomy bag.) The doctors told me there was nothing more they could do and we were planning to take her home. We were at the hospital until 11:00 p.m.; I kissed her and hugged her.  She kissed me and put her little hand in my hair. She told me she loved me. I got a call in the early am that she was gone. Dad got really bad the last year of his life which was excerbated by a botched surgery.  I felt as if I was engulfed with a cloud of grief.  I suffered because they suffered.  And I do agree, I will never regret being there for them. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG

I did have siblings, three of them.  They didn't visit often while I was up there because their situations were different.  The boys worked (21 and 25), as did my father, and my sister had school-age children and lived about an hour away.  However, I couldn't understand them saying they loved her so much that they couldn't handle "seeing her that way."  She never asked why they didn't come.  She did see my youngest brother because he still lived at home, but he and my father were unable to communicate with her even when she was still able to carry a short conversation.  They just didn't realize all she wanted to do was talk about everyday things. 

My feelings were so different.  I couldn't NOT be there.  I don't criticize them for that . . . people handle grief in different ways.

When my sister died over six years ago, she was in hospice over two hours away from here.  My girls took turns driving me up there every other day, and her own girls were there every day.  Her son never came.  They used to talk for an hour on the phone every single day before she became too sick.  But he, also, was unable to visit her at the end.

As fate would have it, she died on the "off" day I wasn't there.  Thankfully, her daughters were there.  I was devastated that I was not there to hold her, but she was comatose and I doubt was aware who was there and who wasn't. 

The end is never pretty and we never forget it.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

My doctor called me this morning at 7:50 AM, but I did not answer the phone because it had no I.D. as to who the caller was and I receive at least ten or more robo calls a day that I never answer.

Her VM said "it's not an emergency, but I need to talk to you today."  She said she would call again after office hours . . . so now I have to wait all day to find out the results of the ultrasounds.

She has never called me in the morning.  She has always called after office hours.  So now I have to sit on my hands until 7PM or so tonight.  I guess I shouldn't worry because she said it wasn't an "emergency," but I have no idea what her idea of an emergency is.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  My guess is ,it is probably something that won't require you to be hospitalized. That is a plus for you

Good luck

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@LilacTree  My guess is ,it is probably something that won't require you to be hospitalized. That is a plus for you

Good luck

@cherry

Well I sure don't want to be hospitalized for many reasons.  Hopefully, you are right.  Thanks, Cherry.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG

How old were you when you handled all of this tragedy?  I was 28-29 (arrived there before my birthday and Christmas, left after my January birthday in May after her funeral).  My husband did bring my older babies up for Christmas.  My mom turned 49 on Christmas Eve.

Formerly Ford1224