Honored Contributor

Ultrasound Gel Warning. If you’re planning an ultrasound or know someone who is

[ Edited ]

There's a huge recall of ultrasound gel that is international in scope. Canada and the U.S. are included in the list of countries that are affected. The gel is contaminated with B. cepacia complex bacteria.* Hopefully all providers will be notified, but just in case a provider does not get the message, you might want to ask before an ultrasound. There is an outbreak stemming from the use of the gel. So far, there are fifteen known infections associated with this. This bacteria can cause serious illness. For much more about this, here is the FDA page:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/eco-med-pharmaceutical-issues-vo...

*Burkholderia stabilis, a member of the Burkholderia cepacia  complex

Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrasound Gel Warning. If you’re planning an ultrasound or know someone that is

Not good.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrasound Gel Warning. If you’re planning an ultrasound or know someone who is

Wonderful.  I had an ultrasound yesterday afternoon. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ultrasound Gel Warning. If you’re planning an ultrasound or know someone who is

Thanks for the FYI, appreciate it.

Seems as though so many warnings lately abt so many things being contaminated.....

What have workers at these companies been doing ? Have they been sabotaging products or has the companies taken short cuts due to staffing ? What is the reason ?

This is so aggravating that people are slipshod

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry I clicked on this, my husband had one done on his private parts last week. 

This will be just one more thing to have to worry about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

Had an Ultrasound done maybe 4-5 weeks ago. Was done before a Thoracentesis procedure, which was done to remove the fluid and air in my Pleural Space. There was 45oz. of Pleural fluid removed which was restricting my Left Lung from expanding more than 20% of it's capacity.

What's done is done, and like my many other medical procedures I have had done! I don't worry about any of them until I know I have a reason, not just "a possibility ". Then my mind goes to "what has to be done to recover", not worry. Mentioned my feelings about "worry" ad nauseam on these forums.

As if some don't already worry too much  about what "might be's and could be's"!!!

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

There's a huge recall of ultrasound gel that is international in scope. Canada and the U.S. are included in the list of countries that are affected. The gel is contaminated with B. cepacia complex bacteria.* Hopefully all providers will be notified, but just in case a provider does not get the message, you might want to ask before an ultrasound. There is an outbreak stemming from the use of the gel. This bacteria can cause serious illness. For much more about this, here is the FDA page:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/eco-med-pharmaceutical-issues-vo...

*Burkholderia stabilis, a member of the Burkholderia cepacia  complex

I just had a vaginal ultrasound about 10 days ago!  I haven't had any issues whatsoever thank goodness.  Never would I have thought about bacteria possible in there at the time.  

Trusted Contributor

I am having one tomorrow afternoon. Yikes.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm sorry I clicked on this, my husband had one done on his private parts last week. 

This will be just one more thing to have to worry about.

But at least now you know. That must be better than not knowing. I hope your husband does not get sick from this.

Super Contributor

I had a breast Ultrasound last June. So far, no problems.