Honored Contributor

@gizmogal 

Having had both, and knowing what to expect, I would opt for the ultrasound.  The unknown was worse than the event.

Good wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

UPDATE:

The advice and comments here were very helpful. I got through the two ultrasound scans yesterday with more ease of mind. I did decide to take a .25 mg Xanax to be sanguine and it helped. Nice weather for a scooter ride, too!

The female technician was friendly, competent  and professional, giving me much more confidence. Doing the abdominal scan first helped to make it feel routine and less upsetting. Hey, they now have warm transducer gel!! Big difference in comfort, though it's still gooey all over your belly. 

Brave or not, I was just as physically uncomfortable as I had feared when it came to the transvaginal scan. Warm gel is not a panacea!  I was handed the task of getting the instrument placed internally. Bless  you to those of you who had prepared me for this possibility!!  I felt less awkward and self conscious instead of surprised and weird doing that. She left it my choice but suggested it would be easier. I was successful and the tech gently resumed control. It only took about 15 minutes. We had a couple of giggles over whether I'd be getting a glass of water and a cigarette "afterwards" and quipped other "girls only" kind of randy humor. Yes, it was done to best practice standards, but humor helped. Soon enough I was able to clean up the gel and get dressed. I will not remember this as easy peasy, but I'd be able to help another nervous woman be calm facing such a scan. 

My doctor called to tell me the results later that day. All was well as far as the abdominal. As for the internal, there was imaging of a small cervical polyp and I will have to follow up with a proper pelvic exam, Pap smear, and likely removal of the polyp by a gynecologist. I did some research and found out these polyps are fairly common, almost always benign and easily removed in a GYN office visit,  then biopsied. 

Looks like I'll have to go through more attention to the lady parts,  which I hoped to avoid. I'm reconciled to follow this through and make sure of my ongoing good health. It won't be all that pleasant, but I will accept it. 

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I find women to always be sympathetic and generous with support of others about any health matters. The forum here didn't disappoint. 

Valued Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

It doesn't hurt.  It is less invasive than a speculum as there is no feeling of pressure like a speculum.  The scan lasts longer than pelvic exam but it is not hard to endure.  You will be fine. 

EXACTLY my experience.  No pain at all.  

Honored Contributor
@gizmogal,
I've had 3 cervical polyps removed; just a simple snip and they were gone. They are like internal skin tags.
Occasional Contributor

I had one a longtime ago when I was pregnant if it is the same thing which Im pretty sure it is.  It is kind of like a pelvic exam.  That is about it.  I mean it is not like you would want to keep having them, but it is not horrible either.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal  I am sorry that this lead to another procedure having to be done, but again, you will do fine!  The biggest take away from your post showed me what a generous being you are.  When you said that now, you will be able to help another nervous woman about this procedure, I knew you were going to be okay with whatever comes in your path.  Passing it forward.  

As my uncle used to say, "Getting old ain't for sissies!" 

You did good!  More times than not, this forum is great. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrasound Anxiety

[ Edited ]

I felt a little pressure and that was it.  We were too busy talking about the benefits of Bombas socks, which I happened to be wearing.  You have a Xanax scrip, so you have an anxiety issue.  I would take one before leaving home.  

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal I'm glad it is over for you and that you felt prepared for it!  I'm sorry that you have to follow up with more procedures, but hopefully, it will soon be over.  What some women don't realize is that menopause can cause changes for some women in the v@ginal canal making it unable to stretch easily.  This is where the level of comfortableness becomes different for every woman. Just re-read this thread, and you'll get responses from no pain, not uncomfortable, easy peasy...to slightly painful, uncomfortable, etc.  lol  

I had never heard of this condition (v@ginal atrophy) until it happened to me, so I know of which I speak.  Many women don't have this happen to them at all or only to a small degree.   I'm not saying that you have this, but the lack of estrogen does change things, and I'm glad that everything went as well as can be expected for you.

Super Contributor

I have a vaginal ultrasound done every year to monitor an ovarian cyst and there isn't any pain, just some slight  pressure when the tech is finding your ovaries.  Like another poster said, it really depends on the tech's experience.  It is usually over in 10 minutes or less.  Just tell the tech to use a lot of gel and it makes it a whole lot easier😊

Esteemed Contributor

I recently had a pelvic ultrasound. The abdominal one wasn't a big deal where the wand goes over your tummy area. You have to have a full bladder for that one (I had to drink at least 4 glasses of water in the 2 hours before my appointment). Then I had to use the washroom before the trans-vaginal ultrasound. The technician handed me the instrument under the sheet and I inserted it myself. I won't say that the trans-vaginal procedure was totally comfortable because it wasn't when the technician was pressing and moving the wand inside me. Afterwards there was a mess of ultrasound gel that I had to clean up -- I used a lot of kleenex and paper towels to get the gel off me. 

One other note, after that procedure I went to Starbucks for a latte and for at least 2 hours afterwards I had to use the washroom like every 20 minutes or so. I think that the transvaginal ultrasound irritated my bladder that much!