Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

The instruments they used were not at all small looked more like the size and girth of a curling iron, covered with a condom and gel, but was  not warm

@tends2dogs wrote:

I have had many of these procedures done.  There is NO pain or discomfort.  The "tool", for lack of a better word, is not inserted very far.  It sort of reminded me of a very small microphone, you know, rounded at the end.  It is lubricated with warmed gel.  That is the main thing you feel is the warmth.  The test is not that lengthy and there was a screen that I could see what the probe saw.  Take a deep breath.  This  is not one of the bad things in life.  It will be over before you know it.  Oh, and if you have to have a Covid test prior, that it nothing to be afraid of either.  Over before you know it.

You will do fine.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal, I've had several vaginal ultrasounds in the past and I had no discomfort.  Hope all goes well for you and I hope this info helps you.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@tends2dogs 

The instruments they used were not at all small looked more like the size and girth of a curling iron, covered with a condom and gel, but was  not warm

@tends2dogs wrote:

I have had many of these procedures done.  There is NO pain or discomfort.  The "tool", for lack of a better word, is not inserted very far.  It sort of reminded me of a very small microphone, you know, rounded at the end.  It is lubricated with warmed gel.  That is the main thing you feel is the warmth.  The test is not that lengthy and there was a screen that I could see what the probe saw.  Take a deep breath.  This  is not one of the bad things in life.  It will be over before you know it.  Oh, and if you have to have a Covid test prior, that it nothing to be afraid of either.  Over before you know it.

You will do fine.

@I am still oxox  I am so sorry to hear that your experience was different than mine (and most of the other posters on this thread)  and not in a good way.  I stand by my explanation to the OP. 

She has nothing to fear about this procedure.  The majority of the posters said they felt no pain.  If she has had a PAP test and pelvic exam, this will be a piece of cake. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I just looked at You tube to refresh my memory and stand by my , the instrument has to be length to be able to see all the areas it needs

the OP this is nothing to fear, it is one of the best diagnostic tools out there 

I do not think a truthful answer is at all negative.

@tends2dogs wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@tends2dogs 

@tends2dogs wrote:

You will do fine.

@I am still oxox  I am so sorry to hear that your experience was different than mine (and most of the other posters on this thread)  and not in a good way.  I stand by my explanation to the OP. 

She has nothing to fear about this procedure.  The majority of the posters said they felt no pain.  If she has had a PAP test and pelvic exam, this will be a piece of cake. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

The technician was very professional and put me at ease and gave me the option to place the probe myself . The room was darkened and the procedure was not uncomfortable to me. I just remember my full bladder was the only thing bothering me, and couldn't wait to relieve it.

I am the high anxiety type also, and would not hesitate to take a Xanax if you feel like it.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@tends2dogs 

I just looked at You tube to refresh my memory and stand by my , the instrument has to be length to be able to see all the areas it needs

the OP this is nothing to fear, it is one of the best diagnostic tools out there 

I do not think a truthful answer is at all negative.

@tends2dogs wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@tends2dogs 

@tends2dogs wrote:

You will do fine.

@I am still oxox   I guess you misunderstood my post.  I never said your answer was negative.  I said my experience was not the same as yours and I was sorry yours was unpleasant.  Mine wasn't.  The OP asked for the experiences of others.  I gave mine.  You gave yours.  All good at the end of the day.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I didn't find it to be a big deal.  

Trusted Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I just had one last Thursday. It was nerve-wracking for me because I was not expecting the procedure to be as it was. Plus, I have high anxiety and I was worried about everything and could not wait until it was finished. That said, the procedure itself is not bad, in retrospect. I'm glad I had it done, considering some concerns I've had over the years with my bladder. It's not that bad, and you'll do fine. The session was 15-20 minutes long. The machine/instrument itself is not painful, though I was sore for the rest of the day.

I'm going to respond and say that probably this experience will probably be different for each of us, depending on if we already have any kind of discomfort or problems in any of these areas.

I have a sensitive and overactive bladder, so when I had to drink water beforehand and then hold it, that was personally uncomfortable for me as my bladder didn't like it but I was able to manage that part of it.

I agree in that the test is similar to having a pelvic exam done, and if someone is able to handle that, then they should be alright.

It does take about 20 minutes total, and the technician that I had was very kind and compassionate.

She did explain everything that she was doing every step of the way, and was as gentle as possible. 

Respected Contributor

I've had that done several times.  The technician had me insert the instrument.  There was no pain involved.  You will be fine.  

Trusted Contributor

I am so grateful to the sisterhood here addressing my concerns with candor and compassion.  I already feel more relaxed and less frightened. I have had many a PAP and pelvic exam in my younger days but no GYN exams for quite a while. I am calmer faing this, for sure. Because of so much reassurance, I know now I will be quite OK and can take this in stride. 

I'm taking a .25 mg xanax before I leave the house for a quiet mentality through this. It does keep me relaxed but does not impair driving. I'm riding my motor scooter to the radiology center because automobile parking nearby is difficult. And riding is fun. (But a little bouncy, which is why I asked about after effects for riding home!)

Radish Flag wall (Medium).jpg

Many thanks to you all (and those who may yet answer) for helping me settle my anxiety and just chalk this up to life experience. I'm hoping my symptoms are explained and treated as a result of the ultrasound scans. Whew!