Respected Contributor

Ultrasonic cleaning at dentist - First time - Thumbs up!

For me, this is so much better than hand scaling alone.

Much less digging and scraping. 

The hygienist said some patients have sensitive gums and don't like it.  Thank goodness, my gums are pretty tough so this tool did not cause any discomfort at all.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning at dentist - First time - Thumbs up!

I've had my cleanings done like this for a long time. I do have sensitive bottom front teeth. They put a "topical" there with a q tip. It really helps.

Respected Contributor

Is this with water instead of the hand scaling??  I have sensitive teeth and the blasting cold water they use is a no go for me....my teeth are rather clean and doesn't require much scaling with that pick tool thing...very quick cleanings that way for me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have sensitive teeth & have to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. My dentist uses the ultrasonic cleaning machine. I only like to go once per year & so my dentist did not use it. I told them I wanted it done as that was the only reason I came in for a cleaning. If they don't use it my teeth feel the same way they did before I came in for my appt. I only feel a slight difference when they use the ultrasonic. I guess they felt if I did not come in twice per yr they were not going to use it. They also don't like that I will not let them do x-rays unless there's a problem. They just want the money from Ins. It only takes them a few minutes to do the scaling part because I already have it done before I show up. I have a dental scaler & keep the plaque off from between my teeth. I cannot stand it. I have to use my 10 x mirror. LOL!!!

Anyways it does not bother my sensitive teeth.

Respected Contributor

It was with water, but the water did not feel cold. Felt like room temperature.

I usually go to the dentist twice a year and this is the first time I was asked to try it.

The hygienist said she prefers it because hand scaling takes more time and more effort.  

Honored Contributor

I've had it done but it was very painful for me even with a topical. My teeth are incredibly sensitive and I couldn't stand the pain. I insisted they give me Novocain and they did but I could still feel pain.