Contributor

Ultimate Krill Omega-3 -- reaction

I purchased a small bottle of this from the other channel.  About a week and half in I get  a fat lip!  Felt like I had sunburn lips....I dropped down to only taking 1 instead of the 2.  My lips eventually subsided.  I attributed it to a cold I had at the time.  About a month ago, I reordered a large bottle of the Krill -- and the same thing happened,  but worse.  So I immediately stopped.  4 days later my lips still look like I had botox shots...it is only my lips that are effected.  They are chapped and ugly....anyone else have any kind of reaction like this?  I called A.Lessman's and they said they have no idea why that would happen and it is probably from something else.  Yea, right.  The problem is that my joints feel good!  I don't have the aches and pains that I had before I started taking them.  So, I wonder if I should go back to just Fish Oil.  When I use to take that I didn't have the aches I have now  (meaning it was maybe 2 yrs ago before the real aches started up ).   I went to drug store and picked up some Benedryl and she said she has heard this alot from people using the Krill.  I have a friend who is a PHD in Biochemistry.  He said it is something called scrumboid....

"Histamine toxicity, also known as scombroid poisoning, is a form of food poisoning.

Histamine toxicity is sometimes confused with an allergic reaction to fish. Here is why:  Some kinds of fish contain naturally high levels of the chemical histidine. This chemical can be converted to histamine by bacteria. In an allergic reaction, mast cells release histamine which triggers allergy symptoms. So, if a person eats fish that has a high level of histamine, the response may resemble an allergic reaction to that food...." (AAAA-I)  Interesting....My friend said the regular fish oit doesn't have the joint healing that the Krill does.   Again, just wondering if anyone else has had this reaction....Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ultimate Krill Omega-3 --

@ottowatoo wrote:

I purchased a small bottle of this from the other channel.  About a week and half in I get  a fat lip!  Felt like I had sunburn lips....I dropped down to only taking 1 instead of the 2.  My lips eventually subsided.  I attributed it to a cold I had at the time.  About a month ago, I reordered a large bottle of the Krill -- and the same thing happened,  but worse.  So I immediately stopped.  4 days later my lips still look like I had botox shots...it is only my lips that are effected.  They are chapped and ugly....anyone else have any kind of reaction like this?  I called A.Lessman's and they said they have no idea why that would happen and it is probably from something else.  Yea, right.  The problem is that my joints feel good!  I don't have the aches and pains that I had before I started taking them.  So, I wonder if I should go back to just Fish Oil.  When I use to take that I didn't have the aches I have now  (meaning it was maybe 2 yrs ago before the real aches started up ).   I went to drug store and picked up some Benedryl and she said she has heard this alot from people using the Krill.  I have a friend who is a PHD in Biochemistry.  He said it is something called scrumboid....

"Histamine toxicity, also known as scombroid poisoning, is a form of food poisoning.

Histamine toxicity is sometimes confused with an allergic reaction to fish. Here is why:  Some kinds of fish contain naturally high levels of the chemical histidine. This chemical can be converted to histamine by bacteria. In an allergic reaction, mast cells release histamine which triggers allergy symptoms. So, if a person eats fish that has a high level of histamine, the response may resemble an allergic reaction to that food...." (AAAA-I)  Interesting....My friend said the regular fish oit doesn't have the joint healing that the Krill does.   Again, just wondering if anyone else has had this reaction....Thanks!

I take PURITY BRAND. KRILL 50, no problem

Respected Contributor

Re: Ultimate Krill Omega-3 -- reaction

I bought a bottle of Krill from Sams Club last fall.  Soon after taking them I broke out in a red rash.  I'd had this rash before when taking BP meds, so I knew it was the krill.  It took about a week for the rash to disappear after I quit taking them.

Honored Contributor

@ottowatoo wrote:

I purchased a small bottle of this from the other channel.  About a week and half in I get  a fat lip!  Felt like I had sunburn lips....I dropped down to only taking 1 instead of the 2.  My lips eventually subsided.  I attributed it to a cold I had at the time.  About a month ago, I reordered a large bottle of the Krill -- and the same thing happened,  but worse. 

So I immediately stopped.  4 days later my lips still look like I had botox shots...it is only my lips that are effected.  They are chapped and ugly....anyone else have any kind of reaction like this?  I called A.Lessman's and they said they have no idea why that would happen and it is probably from something else.  Yea, right.  The problem is that my joints feel good!  I don't have the aches and pains that I had before I started taking them.

So, I wonder if I should go back to just Fish Oil.  When I use to take that I didn't have the aches I have now  (meaning it was maybe 2 yrs ago before the real aches started up ).   I went to drug store and picked up some Benedryl and she said she has heard this alot from people using the Krill.  I have a friend who is a PHD in Biochemistry.  He said it is something called scrumboid....

Histamine toxicity is sometimes confused with an allergic reaction to fish. Here is why:  Some kinds of fish contain naturally high levels of the chemical histidine. This chemical can be converted to histamine by bacteria. In an allergic reaction, mast cells release histamine which triggers allergy symptoms.

So, if a person eats fish that has a high level of histamine, the response may resemble an allergic reaction to that food...." (AAAA-I)  Interesting....My friend said the regular fish oit doesn't have the joint healing that the Krill does.   Again, just wondering if anyone else has had this reaction....Thanks!

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My Mom is allergic to shellfitsh, she gave me her Krill oil. 

I finished her bottle.  Then I bought ALs Krill.  I have no problem taking it.

Trusted Contributor

I also am allergic to shellfish, so I gave my bottle of Krill away as well.

There is a shellfish-free glucosamine hyaluronic acid chondroitin MSM product made by Solgar.  I have it, but have not taken any as of yet.  I will be trying it soon.