Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh! My doctor wants me to get a Covid test

I had my vertebra cemented at the height of the Covid scare.  The Dr had me do an enormous amount of bloodwork before I had it done but definitely not for the virus.

It's pretty intense.  They cut into the vertebra, take out a piece of the bone and send it away.  It takes a month to get the results to see if I have bone cancer.

By the time a person is 73 years old the body has begun breaking down.  There are going to be things wrong with it.  I'm in good health except for my terrible back pain.

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan Yes I have had the COVOD nasal test.  It was uncomfortbut did not last long thank goodness.  Juse prepare yourself and hold on to the arms of your chair or whatever to steel yourself for less than the minute it takes.

Trusted Contributor

@wildcat fan : I have not read all replies but my husband had surgery on his hand about 3 weeks ago.

Surgery scheduled for a Tuesday and he had to go in for the Covid test the Thursday before. The lab said if he didn't hear from them by noon Sunday he was clear. He was.

His was a saliva test. Had to spit into a tube similar to what you do for a DNA test for Ancestry or the other similar sites. He was relieved it wasn't the swab and that it was negative. He stayed home until it took him for his surgery. No big deal

Trusted Contributor

Interesting article that talks about different covid test options.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-updates-methods-cost-availability/

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any of us could be infected but not have symptoms, so saying it's not necessary because you're asymptomatic is (with all respect!) missing the point. I wouldn't hesitate to have the test if needed! It's for everyone's benefit.

Respected Contributor

It's uncomfortable, but not painful.  Only takes a few seconds.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, was the procedure a vertebroplasty? It's where they cement some back discs together, and your description sounds like that. My husband had that about a month ago when he fractured a couple discs in his back. It's a non invasive surgery, they just ****** a hole.The surgery last about 45 mintues to an hour and then the patient has to rest for a couple hours in order for the cement to dry. 

I'm sorry that this didn't seem to work well for you. My husband felt much better after the vertebroplasty, and it usually is successful.

Are there any other alternatives for your back pain? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan Good luck on your procedure! The Covid-19 test, while uncomfortable, shouldn't be painful. It is important though since Covid-19 disease has been shown to affect blood clotting in many cases. I would question the competence of any physician or surgeon who did not require one before an invasive procedure. In NY state it has beenpart of state guidance and protocol since April.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan   I was tested 3 days before my lumbar epidural.  It's uncomfortable and they guy got mad because at first he placed the swab in the lower part of the nose and then went up a little to come back down.  I would pull away when he went up some (he does not go up high) but I did not like the feel of it.  After I did that twice, the third time was a charm.  You will be okay.  I have had worse where they go up all the way and you yank their arm out.  Lol

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My question is -- how often are the doctors tested for COVID 19?

kindness is strength