Trusted Contributor

I got an appointment on mon. Symptoms are improving, but will still go get checked. Thanks everyone. 

Respected Contributor

Please go to an urgicenter!!!!!!! UTIs can cause confusion and mental changes. This is very common in older adults. It is sometimes the first symptom. Waiting can lead to sepsis which requires hospitalization and IV antibiotics.It is nothing to sit back and wait for!!!! If you broke your leg or were having a heart attack or stroke, would you wait just because you felt a  little better?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown

Best advice, see your dr for antibiotic, drink plenty of water, take a warm bath, pick up over the counter AZO. 

Valued Contributor

I always keep the cranberry juice 8 oz bottle from Puritan's Pride on hand.  It has saved me from all the antibiotics.  You cannot drink the sugar sweetened stuff you buy like OceanSpray as the sugar makes the infection worse.

Honored Contributor

I know this is well after the fact but you should always go to a doctor/Urgent Care for what you think is a UTI.  Nothing over the counter is going to get rid of the infection.  You need antibiotics to clear the infection.  Drinking cranberry juice isn't going to clear an infection.  My doctor told me to take cranberry pills although there is no definitive research to show they really help.  She told me that the cranberry pills supposedly help so that the bacteria cannot adhere to the bladder and cause an infection. 

Pyridium is still available and given by doctors while AZO can be bought OTC.  AZO doesn't do a thing for me and neither does Uricalm but Pyridium is a godsend.   Any of these meds interfere with a urine drop although AZO claims on the box that it doesn't.  My doctor has told me otherwise.

In early July I was grocery shopping and all of a sudden got a horrible urge to go and had burning.  I went home and at that point, I was in such pain I couldn't stand it and was nearly in tears.  I contacted my doctor who couldn't get me in for 2 days so I headed to an express clinic.  They did the urine dip.  The Nurse Practitioner came in and asked me how long I'd had symptoms.  I told her I had just gotten them. She told me my urine was full of blood and that I had a horrible infection.  I was put on the same med my doctor gives me and I was given Pyridium for the pain and burning. 

I know someone who ended up on life support from sepsis for ignoring a UTI, thinking she was just going to use AZO and flush it out with water.             

Honored Contributor

A responsible physician should NEVER prescribe antibiotics over the phone. You needed to see him - give a urine sample which they could test for the presense of bacteria with a simple 2 min dip test. Very poor on the part of your doctor - convenient for you but not good practice at all.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A responsible physician should NEVER prescribe antibiotics over the phone. You needed to see him - give a urine sample which they could test for the presense of bacteria with a simple 2 min dip test. Very poor on the part of your doctor - convenient for you but not good practice at all.

@151949, who is this directed to? 

My doctor has called in an antibiotic once for me without seeing me.  She only did this because I had been treated at an Urgent Care for a UTI and they gave me Bactrim that didn't knock out the infection so I never got rid of it.  When I called my doctor, it was x-mas eve so she called in my typical Cipro for me.  Bactrim never works for me.      

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

As a nurse, it surprises me that you are unaware that a 2 minute dip test is unreliable and a CULTURE should be done each and every time a patient has symptoms. After it comes back, only then can the physician type the kind of bacteria to the apropriate antibiotic if there is indeed an infection.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva TOTALLY different situation. He KNEW you had a UTI. He just changed how he was ytreating it.