Contributor

URETERAL STENTS..Anyone have this procedure?

Respected Contributor

Re: URETERAL STENTS..Anyone have this procedure?

my wife had kidney stones last month and had 2 laser presedures and had a stent put in. she said the stent was more painful then the kidney stones. i wish i could have given you better news but it was aweful. good luck.

Super Contributor

I have had experience with this, I had a kidney stone that got stuck in the tube that leads from the kidney to the bladder and blocked the kidney which started to fail because of it. I was put to sleep and a stent put in that ran along side the stone until they could do the procedure of sonic booms that crush the stone. I ended up having the stent in for over a month cause they had to do two different procedures to crush the stone and had to wait in between both. Anyway, for all that time I had to take pain pills, vicadin everyday. I was afraid of getting addicted but as soon as the stent was removed I quit and had no problem. I did need the pain pills everyday, the stent was uncomfortable, but the worst was having it taken out. It was the worst feeling I have ever had and I was so scared I took two pain pills before going to have the stent out and that did not help. I will never allow a docter to do that to me again, i will demand to be put under for that. They put this device up there that is supposed to hook on to the stent and then pull it out, OH MY Gosh!L!!!1 It hurts!!! I dont want to scare you but, i would tell them ahead of time that you want to be knocked out for that. I cant imagine what a man would do if he had to have one.

Honored Contributor

@NaughtyNan-MWC......after those two posts, I sure as heck would run for the hills!😮😮😮😮😮😮

Contributor

Thank you for all these replies.  I've been sooo frightened just reading the pamphlet the urologist gave me.  I do not want to have this procedure.  Doctors never tell me everything.  Naturally I don't know what will happened, on down the road, (as far as clearing out the stones after shock wave procedureS) without this stint procedure. I have a consult with him on Fri. I'm sure he'll try to talk me into it. Again, I so sincerely thank you  for caring.

Nancy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

doctor told us without stent urethra wont heal right and you will be throwing up uncontrolably.she did tell doctor i dont want to be awake when they take stent out. i would much rather be knocked out and not feel it. pain from stent was gone when she woke up.good luck on the whole thing,

Contributor

Yes, Pooky, I will demand being put asleep for the stint!  I will be 'out' for any/all of the shock waves.  Originally, thought modesty(I'm 76) was my biggest concern, DUH! I'm disgusted with myself for this rant is 'all about me'.. back now to thinking prayers galore, God bless for those in FL and all those animals/birds etc.

Respected Contributor

@NaughtyNan-MWC I have had 27 stones and I have 4 now. I make them due to a disease. I was in the hospital about 25 years ago and had a tube in my back for 3 days. I had Lithotripsy about 12 or 13 years ago and then stents (also in hospital) as usual. I woke up with horrendous pain. They tried everything nothing worked. Finally, someone said to give me toridal (anti inflammatory) in IV. I could breath. Now you can get toridal in pill form. Ask your doctor to make sure that you get either the meds put in your IV or take before you leave the facility that they are doing the procedure. Make sure you go home with a rx of it. Even better, get a rx ahead of time. Just remember, it's an anti inflammatory so it can be hard on the stomach. I'm going to have to have the procedure eventually and that's what I'm going to do. Good luck.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@NaughtyNan-MWC wrote:

Yes, Pooky, I will demand being put asleep for the stint!  I will be 'out' for any/all of the shock waves.  Originally, thought modesty(I'm 76) was my biggest concern, DUH! I'm disgusted with myself for this rant is 'all about me'.. back now to thinking prayers galore, God bless for those in FL and all those animals/birds etc.

Don't be ridiculous, you have a right to be concerned about you.  Nothing wrong with that.  When I have to do something medically that scares me to death, I get all the information I can.  Then I tell myself it's a necessary procedure.  Last time you had a necessary procedure, you made it through fine.  You will make it through fine this time too.  My mind eases when I fully understand why I have to have a procedure and what happens if I don't, then what's involved.  You will be fine. 🌼

Contributor

A friend of the family had this and the same stent treatment twice. He is a practicing medical dr. himself.

Based on his recounting of his own particular experience of both events, and some of the related tribulations, it sounds as if one would want to be sure to have an able and competent adult to be with you as you return home with the stent, and be with you to provide care and help with meds and monitoring for a period of time as needed. This person should be able to receive full information from the dr. and medical care team as you are discharged/sent home, to understand what was done, your status, your meds, what to expect, and when to call if your condition changes in a way not expected. You may not be as lucid as you think, or able to remember the information upon returning home. A care giver could help monitor meds and check in with the doctor about what changing pain status might mean or not.