Honored Contributor

If you're interested in a complete turnaround, see my last post under the original thread, "Casper mattress."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE on Casper mattress

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree — Where on the Saatva site does it say that mattress has latex in it?  I have one in a guest room down in AZ.

I plan on ordering a latex mattress from their sister company Zenhaven so I’m curious.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@LilacTree — Where on the Saatva site does it say that mattress has latex in it?  I have one in a guest room down in AZ.

I plan on ordering a latex mattress from their sister company Zenhaven so I’m curious.  

@tansy

I can't remember where I saw that, but I can go through the stuff I researched on Google (or it might have been CR) tomorrow and try to find it.  Too late now, I was just shutting down my computer after recharging the battery for my phone.

You will hear from me tomorrow!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

What if someone has latex allergies? Thank you

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@LilacTree

What if someone has latex allergies? Thank you

@LTT1
It seems all the beds have some foam.  Saatva has very little, and of course all of the foam beds have significant amounts of latex from chemical sources.  Saatva has a minor amount and it is sourced from natural resources, e.g., trees . . . no chemicals.

You would have to research if natural latex can cause allergies.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy@LTT1

Tansy, here is what I read re the latex in a Saatva mattress and other more expensive organic mattresses.

What Is an Organic Mattress?

By

Lara Rosenbaum

-

April 19, 2018

When most of us hear the word “organic,” we automatically think of food grown without the use of dangerous pesticides. But a mattress can be organic, too. And the same considerations that might inspire someone to consume healthier fruits and vegetables also apply to mattress choices. After all, your skin—your body’s largest organ—is in close proximity with mattress materials for hours every day.

What sets organic mattresses apart is that they are made with natural materials like cotton, wool, and latex that have been grown or processed without the use of harmful chemicals. The chemicals in some conventional mattresses are particularly worrisome, since they can take years to break down. A recent study out of the University of Indiana at Bloomington found that trace amounts of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) from flame retardants were being passed to babies through their mothers’ blood via the umbilical cord—more than a decade after such substances had been banned.

Many people choose to purchase an organic mattress, or one with organic components, for that reason alone, but there are other factors to consider too, such as:

Flame retardants and other chemicals

The parts of conventional mattresses most likely to contain hazardous chemicals are the fabrics and components that are treated with fire retardants, such as cotton covers and foam padding.

While PBDEs have been banned for years, other chemical fire retardants are still used by some mattress manufacturers. In addition, many common types of foam and adhesives can “off gas” which means they can release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air. That’s what accounts for foam’s sometimes unpleasant “new” smell. VOCs in mattress foams can include petroleum, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), formaldehyde, benzene, methylene chloride, toluene, trichloroethane, naphthalene, and perfluorocarbons—a bath of potentially harmful chemicals.

Organic mattresses, on the other hand, use natural materials that still meet fire-retardant guidelines. Wool, for example, is naturally flame-resistant, as is wood-pulp derived organic plant thistle, which contains flame-resistant oils. Organic mattress covers are typically made from organic cotton or bamboo. Comfort layers within the mattress can be made from wool or organic latex, natural materials that don’t off-gas.

Apart from natural latex, which comes from the sap of the rubber tree, there is no “organic” manmade foam. However, many manufacturers, including Saatva, use plant-based alternatives to create healthier memory foam options. Foam that carries the Certi-PUR label, for instance, contains no PBDEs, heavy metals like lead and mercury, or formaldehyde. It’s also certified to be low-VOC.

4 advantages to choosing an organic mattress

Besides lowering exposure to potentially harmful chemicals, organic mattresses and components offer other advantages, including:

• Fewer allergens: Wool is one of the organic mattress stars. That’s because it’s naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial, resistant to dust mites, and hypoallergenic. Because it’s free of chemical irritants wool is a good choice for allergy sufferers, as is organic cotton.
  • Durability: High-quality natural materials like wool and latex last a long time: 15 to 20 years with normal use. Natural latex mattresses are among the longest-lasting types on the market, with a lifespan of 20 years or more, longer than even premium memory foam (10-15 years) and innerspring (7-10 years on average).
  • Comfort: The natural fibers used in organic mattresses wick away moisture and are breathable, which makes for a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
  • Environmental impact: Most people are usually so focused on getting a new mattress home that they don’t think about what happens to the old one once it leaves the bedroom. Landfill operators struggle to compress and bury mattresses—sometimes upwards of 300 per day. Environmentally conscious mattress manufacturers typically implement recycling programs and find ways to use recycled components, such as springs made of recycled steel. Plus, those same chemicals that you don’t want near your body won’t wind up in your nearby landfill.
Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Saatva mattress company makes a traditional mattress, which I bought for a guest room.  It’s plush and comfy.  The service was great. I think you’ll like it.

The company has branched out with two other companies.  Loom & Leaf competes with TempurPedic type mattresses.  With my joint replacements, I have difficulty moving around on those beds.

Zenhaven is their all latex mattress.  I’m taking a chance soon on the latex one after trying out some of their completion locally.   I sort of ‘bounce’ right off the solid latex mattress.  

The company’s online chat service and phone reps are very helpful.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree@tansy

Thank you for this in-depth information!

Isn’t it interesting that new information is being discovered about man-made fibers. All good to know!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~