Frequent Contributor

Re: UPDATE On ENT Visit For Sore Throat

Hi NickNack, I wanted to write and let you know my canker sore experience and what helped. I was plagued by them since childhood (though never in my throat, thankfully) and didn’t know if there was a solution. For me what worked was when I eliminated all grains. I didn’t even know there could be a connection until I noticed I hadn’t had one for months and looked it up. Of course this is just me but I’ve been free of them for six years now with not even one in that entire time. Just my experience but I wanted to mention it. I hope you find a solution to what sounds like a really awful experience.
Honored Contributor

@Athome2 wrote:
Hi NickNack, I wanted to write and let you know my canker sore experience and what helped. I was plagued by them since childhood (though never in my throat, thankfully) and didn’t know if there was a solution. For me what worked was when I eliminated all grains. I didn’t even know there could be a connection until I noticed I hadn’t had one for months and looked it up. Of course this is just me but I’ve been free of them for six years now with not even one in that entire time. Just my experience but I wanted to mention it. I hope you find a solution to what sounds like a really awful experience.

@Athome2   Thank you.  I do eat whole grain bread almost every day.  I'll try cutting that out.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

My daughter used to suffer from frequent cold sores. Her pediatrician suggested changing our toothpaste to one without sodium lauryl sulfate. We switched to Sensodyne, and she never had another sore. That was at least four years ago.  You may have already received this suggestion on your original thread, but wanted to let you know. I hope that the medicine that you have been prescribed takes care of it.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Thank you @mom2four0418 .  I read that about toothpaste when I first started getting canker sores.  I switched to Sensodyne at that time.

I feel like the reason I got canker sores earlier in the summer was from eating tomatoes.  I quit eating them and switched toothpastes and they went away.  They came back when I got this latest illness.  I think the fact that my iron is low could have contributes to them or caused them this time.

When I saw the ENT yesterday he prescribed a cortisone paste for my canker sores.  It is amazing.  As soon as I put it on they stop hurting.  I was able to sleep all night without pain in my mouth from the canker sores.  I hope it will get rid of them completely.  I'm on an iron supplement now, too.

I am having other problems and am planning on scheduling an appointment with a Rheumatologist on Monday.  I know it could take months to get one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

I am so glad to hear that your medication is working! Iron deficiency can cause so many issues. Take good care!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Osteopathic physicians (D.O. instead of M.D. follows their name) have gone to medical school but view the body as a whole, not just one system or area.  

I'd recommend seeing one - plus a rheumatologist - if you haven't already.

An Osteopath is the type of doctor that my husband and I see. I was also going to recommend checking them out. They can also practice in Internal Medicine like MDs do, but their outlook is a bit more holistic. 

They do treat the whole person--both mind and body, and it has been our experience that the one we were seeing would not hesitate to check for some kind of vitamin or mineral deficiency if he thought that you might have one that might be causing an illness for you.

Ours retired recently but his partner is carrying on with his practice and she is also another Osteopath.