Honored Contributor

UPDATE ON "ME AND MELATONIN' !

Long story short: I had read a post about possible effects of this and as I have used it for years read with interest.

I was experiencing extremely vivid dreams that would not allow me any sleep. I felt like a zombie for 2 weeks.

After reading some very informative posts here, I quit taking it, only taking my normal 5 mg of zolpidem (generic Ambien). WEll! What a difference. 

Sleeping much better but not quite as well as I need. So decided to break my 5 mg melatonin in half and take that. Worked perfectly. Better sleep and no dreams keeping me up all night.

THANKS to all who posted about the effects of this hormone. It never would have occurred to me that this was the source of my sleeplessness.

Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATE ON "ME AND MELATONIN' !

i was told by 2 people to try this. i have a hard time falling asleep. then when i finally do im usually up in like 2 hrs. i never sleep a solid 5 hrs straight. but after reading all the bad things about it. im wondering if i should try it. i wish they sold it in just a trial package of 2 or 3 pills. dont want to buy a whole bottle and not like it. im going to go to cvs this week and look for a smaller bottle. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnie f I'd suggest starting with the lowest dosage you can find. I've been taking this for many years and I'm guessing my body just said "enough already"!

I don't know about CVS but with Costco and Walgreen's if you save your receipt you can return the item in a reasonable time.

I once heard a story by a friend who saw a man in Mervyn's trying to return a pair of socks. He'd ahd them for 6 years! Needless to say, he didn't get a free replacement.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

my hairdresser asked at cvs she said she had  5 mg in her hand.. they told her thats too much and to start out at 3 than if she needs another one she can take 2 or cut in 1/2,, yes i'd definetely start out with the 3mg... i looked on the website and they offer the 120 in a bottle, but they also have gummies.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am the one who keeps saying take only 1 mg. Doctors who are experts at alternative medicine say this. You can always increase the dosage if it's not enough but rarely do people need 5 mg. And yes, it gives vivid dreams. Edit: try to get outside in the sun in the morning to encourage natural melatonin production. And did you know that very high doses of melatonin are often used for Covid 19 treatment in hospitals with other things like C.