Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE GREAT NEWS PFIZER confirms efficacy for 6 mos & efficacy against S. African variant.

A public and very sincere apology to those who are not familiar with my cheesy acronym.

LO stands for "L oved O ne".

Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPDATE GREAT NEWS PFIZER confirms efficacy for 6 mos & efficacy against S. African variant.

@violann wrote:

Gotta keep in mind, the "traditional" FLU vaccine is only designed to confer immunity for a year. That's why some of us get it every Fall.

@violann  I was just thinking about the FLU vaccine. Right now I get it twice a year. Would i want to take both Flu and Covid Vaccine twice a year? Have to think about that. Haven't taken the Covid Vaccine but will take my Flu vaccine this month (April). The flu kills thousands a year but we don't hear about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

https://www.fda.gov/media/144416/download

I think is the application, which I thought I got from a post of yours.   Anyway thanks for posting.

Is the data you want on Table 10 on page 27?  They use BMI of >30 and it looks like good results.

Actually I had a good chuckle about all the whining from the placebo group 🤗

Esteemed Contributor

I remember reading that it's something that would be done annually. If it's six months, that's not bad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

I remember reading that it's something that would be done annually. If it's six months, that's not bad.

@Sage04 No one is saying that a second series of COVID vaccinations will be needed in six months after a first series of shots. The findings are that protection has been efficacious for the vaccinated group, SO FAR. Pfizer has only had six months to monitor its clinical trial participants so far. As more time goes by Pfizer will update the data on the vaccine's efficacy. The protective effect could last more than a year. The duration of efficacy is not known YET. So far, for at least six months, the vaccinated group had very good protection as compared to the placebo group.

Could I ask you why up you get two flu shots every year? I could see a person needing two in years when the flu strains included in the annual vaccines predominate in different months of the year. For example, an Influenza A strain is infecting most people in October through December and an influenza B strain is infecting late in the season and hitting hardest in January and February. 

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@violann wrote:

Gotta keep in mind, the "traditional" FLU vaccine is only designed to confer immunity for a year. That's why some of us get it every Fall.

@violann  I was just thinking about the FLU vaccine. Right now I get it twice a year. Would i want to take both Flu and Covid Vaccine twice a year? Have to think about that. Haven't taken the Covid Vaccine but will take my Flu vaccine this month (April). The flu kills thousands a year but we don't hear about it.

@Sage04 

The Unversity of Washington said there was almost no flu last year.  They think that may be due to the wearing of masks.  

Honored Contributor

I think there will be a yearly vaccine,like the flu shot.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4  AMEN....I couldn't have said it any better.... She would  have been  a Very GOOD SOLDIER CIRCA the 1940's THANK YOU