Esteemed Contributor

UPDATE 1: Re: It is scary how easy it is to be dependent on pain meds

[ Edited ]

I believe that I have been labeled a witch or worse.  My doctor appointment was for 1 pm today.  I called when I got there and was told that I was scheduled for a phone consult.  I told them that I had a regular appointment and that a phone consult was not going to happen.  So, they said that they would call me when they could fit me in.  As I watched others going into the office, I gave them about 15 minutes with no call.  I called again and told them that they had 10 minutes to get me in the office and into a room or they could cancel all of my appointments, that I would find another doctor, and that I would be heading down to the medical center.  About 5 minutes later, I was in the door.  I am not usually nasty but the pain is almost unbearable without meds.

Instead of a doctor, I saw a NP, one who is very experienced.  I told her all of the pain meds and she has prescribed another, which I will get tomorrow.  She agreed with me that it was probably a pinched nerve, that I needed an x-ray, and that I should call my ortho.  I did tell her that the person last week just blew me off, and I had the feeling that this was not the first time that she had heard this.  

Anyway, ortho appointment on Wednesday morning, with my regular doctor, who will check everything out and make sure that I have an x-ray while there.

Thanks, everyone, for following along.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPDATE 1: Re: It is scary how easy it is to be dependent on pain meds

Hope you feel better.I will keep you in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm really sorry that you had to go through all that @SXMGirl , just to be able to get help.

You shouldn't have had too but there are times we just have to do things like that!

I hope you feel better and they are able to give you just what you need to get better!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl That's an awful way to treat a patient and I am glad you put your foot down!

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Frequent Contributor

I totally get your reaction! When my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer they were hemming and hawing and putting off the date of his surgery. I normally can hold my temper but I told them to schedule him that week or we would go elsewhere. I felt badly for being so forceful but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope the new med will help with your pain.

Honored Contributor

Glad you put your foot down...sometimes it's what it takes.  Hope you feel find relief soon!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you held your groud on this, I do hate that you have to wait till next Wed to see an ortho person. I'm praying the new medicine will relieve your pain. 

Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl 

How are you feeling?

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat  Thank you for asking.  Between the outrageous pain and my vertigo, it is not a good day for me today..  I took pain meds last night from the stash that I had.  Once they wear off, I will drive over and get the new meds.  Wednesday, when I see the ortho, cannot come soon enough.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl   Good for you for standing your ground at the doctors office.

I have a bit of experience with the need for pain meds...my niece had a lot of health issues and was becomming addicted, it was really a nightmare for her.

Today she is doing great but I was with her a lot in her times of great pain and dealing with doctors.

I hope the x-ray shows what the issue is and you get the relief you need.