Trusted Contributor

UCONN wins 10th national women's basketball championship!!

I just wish they'd get more respect and recognition! No mention on the morning shows or the nightly news. Coach Geno Auriemma has tied the legendary John Wooden's record, you can bet if this was men's basketball the press would be all over it! And for those who think women's basketball is for sissys, think again! They could beat many of the men's teams easily! Go Huskies!
Contributor

Re: UCONN wins 10th national women's basketball championship!!

Go Huskies!

Trusted Contributor

As a neighboring New Yorker, I'm with you and say: Yay for the Huskies!

Super Contributor

See you at the parade!

Trusted Contributor

I'm a fellow Nutmegger and love my UConn basketball! Unfortunately, because UConn women win so consistently, we have come to take that for granted and really don't understand or appreciate how hard they work. In fact, Geno himself has admitted that he didn't have much confidence in their ability at the beginning of the year. None of us would have wanted to be in his practice sessions!!! He can't be Mr. Nice Guy and get the players that he does. And you have to remember - these are young ladies - 18-20 years old - that's a lot of pressure. I realize that the rest of the sports world, especially other college players, may resent their consistent success and I know that they get a lot of trash talk but these young ladies always conduct themselves in a respectful manner. They're all good students; they all graduate; and you never hear of any questionable behavior - unlike the men. In the end, their rewards are not nearly what the men reap - there's no multi-million dollar contract on the horizon.

Esteemed Contributor

Coach Geno Auriemma: one of the most famous alumni of West Chester University. (besides moi, of course!)

Frequent Contributor

Proudly raised my UCONN flag...........In San Diego!!!

Trusted Contributor

On 4/9/2015 gonnab said:

I'm a fellow Nutmegger and love my UConn basketball! Unfortunately, because UConn women win so consistently, we have come to take that for granted and really don't understand or appreciate how hard they work. In fact, Geno himself has admitted that he didn't have much confidence in their ability at the beginning of the year. None of us would have wanted to be in his practice sessions!!! He can't be Mr. Nice Guy and get the players that he does. And you have to remember - these are young ladies - 18-20 years old - that's a lot of pressure. I realize that the rest of the sports world, especially other college players, may resent their consistent success and I know that they get a lot of trash talk but these young ladies always conduct themselves in a respectful manner. They're all good students; they all graduate; and you never hear of any questionable behavior - unlike the men. In the end, their rewards are not nearly what the men reap - there's no multi-million dollar contract on the horizon.

You are spot on! I always laugh when other teams are losing and their coach at halftime says "well we just have to work a little harder and we'll be ok." They actually believe they can win when they're already 20 PT's behind! Geno has never made a secret of his formula for success - he recruits good players, yes, but it's much more than that. They practice HARD, and he makes good players, great players. I love listening to him describe what he does. If other coaches were smart, they'd just listen to him. It's funny that even the former players that have become coaches still can't seem to duplicate what he does. It will be interesting to see what happens when he and CD retire (oh no!)! Meanwhile, now I go through my annual Uconn basketball withdrawal and wait for next year!
Trusted Contributor

On 4/8/2015 BigOrangeKitty said:

See you at the parade!

I wish! I'm in Florida! I did go to the Mohegan Sun last year for the conference championship with 7 of my college girlfriends. It was awesome! Toss some confetti for me! ??????