Honored Contributor

Tyson ready to eat chicken products expanded USDA recall. Product photos available.

[ Edited ]

There is an expansion of ready to eat chicken products from Tyson under recall due to possible listeria contamination. There are photos of the products and complete USDA recall information here. There are many products included in this recall. I found that scanning through the photos was very helpful. Note that  the most current product listing is included here now. It includes four pages of product names, denoting the expanded product listing of over a previous product list of three pages. There are plenty of frozen products including many pizzas (Firehouse Pizza, Randy's Pizza,Picasso's Pizza) that most people will cook before eating. Tyson's name is not on the label of many of these products, especially the pizzas. Some chicken only products (NOT PIZZAS) are also included and sold under brands such as Marco's Pizza, Little Caesar's, Randy's Pizza, Jet's Pizza and Casey's General Store. There are also some frozen empanadas. Many, but not all, of the chicken products are sold in 10 pound bags so I am assuming that commercial establishments could be using them. The USDA noted that the products were sent to institutions such as schools, nursing homes, hospitals, restaurants, The Department of Defense and retailers.  The USDA also notes that the product could have been served to consumers at deli counters in retail stores. There has been one confirmed death from this outbreak and three illnesses.  

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls-alerts/tyson-foods-inc.-recalls-ready-eat-chicken-products-due-pos...

Honored Contributor

Re: Tyson ready to eat chicken products expanded USDA recall. Product photos available.

Tyson...again!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tyson ready to eat chicken products expanded USDA recall. Product photos available.

I stopped buying Tyson especially when the boneless chicken breasts where tossed unwrapped in a plastic bag  -- disgusting.  I prefer Perdue that wraps the breasts individually.   As far as ready to eat -- help yourselves.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 @Perdue has also had recalls. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D   Thank you again for posting another recall. I read the list from the link and it appears to include 2-3 pizza businesses that use the recalled Tyson products.

I had received no less than 10 emails from Target warning me about 2 Tyson products I had purchased there - an instance in which I'm glad the retailer knew how to contact me. Luckily, I had thrown both out before the recall & never ate any.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily wrote:

@Mindy D   Thank you again for posting another recall. I read the list from the link and it appears to include 2-3 pizza businesses that use the recalled Tyson products.

I had received no less than 10 emails from Target warning me about 2 Tyson products I had purchased there - an instance in which I'm glad the retailer knew how to contact me. Luckily, I had thrown both out before the recall & never ate any.

@Desert Lily I'm glad to know that Target tries to be responsible. Some of the products are sold ready to eat in wraps and sandwiches at convenience stores. These places might have no way to contact their customers. There are plenty of frozen pizzas that people might still have in their freezers, not realizing that the pizzas have the chicken from the recall on them. These are going to be cooked by consumers though, so the risk is reduced. Troubling, though, are the Tyson fully cooked cut chicken pieces that might be defrosted and eaten without cooking by unsuspecting consumers. The last photo shows a chicken salad product by Hoople's that could still be on shelves...it has a use by date of August 10th. Hopefully, retailers pulled the products from the shelves. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tysonee ready to eat chicken products expanded USDA recall. Product photos available.

Tyson has had so many recalls ..... and when the pandemic first started the treatment of their employees was not so flattering either.....I used to buy their prepared ready to eat chicken tenders and chicken patties, but no more after too many recalls.....  I buy only the store brand ready to eat products that the local grocery store chain prepares at a local facility. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Tysonee ready to eat chicken products expanded USDA recall. Product photos available.

[ Edited ]

@Spurt @To be fair, the other chicken companies have also had recalls. Listeria grows well in cold and cool conditions and survives well in frozen and refrigerated foods. It also thrives in wet areas such as a chicken plant's flooring and drain area. It also survives well on soft cheeses and many fresh vegetables. Purdue, and Sanderson Farms habve also had recalls but are not a part of this recall. It's hard to get away from the problem. Certain foods are more prone to contamination, so I avoid them. For example, sprouts. They are highly prone to listeria contamination. I used to grow my own sprouts but I do not eat raw sprouts anymore. Ground beef is prone to E. coli contamination so I only eat well cooked beef and I always use a meat thermometer when cooking. I'm in a quandary about leafy greens. I've been eating them cooked lately. 

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Tyson...again!

@Foxxee Well, those chicken breaded pieces come from the same area of Arkansas, I know because I called them.  I would not be a bit surprised if the source weren't Tyson.

Actually I'd be surprised if they are not Tyson product.