Respected Contributor

Type II Diabetics and cooked grain portions

Is there a site anywhere that gives nutritional information per serving of cooked grains? I am spending more time researching this and not coming up with answers. For example, quinoa is a great example. On the box, 1/4 cup uncooked is a serving....but how does that translate to cooked?. There are some grains that are easy to find out this information-such as rice and oatmeal ( on the latter, there seem to be differences between "old fashioned" and steel cut). I would love to know what constitutes a serving-cooked- of bulgar, wheat berries, and some other grains. I am doing really well blood sugar wise, but I want variation. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor

Re: Type II Diabetics and cooked grain portions

The calories for a 1/4 cup of uncooked should be the same for cooked. Usually grains are double the quantity as cooked. Cronometer.com is an excellent website for nutritional information.

Respected Contributor

calorieking.com is a helpful site for nutritional facts about food. I recommend it.

Respected Contributor

Basic Nutrient Values

Regardless of the variety, wheat berries are high in carbohydrates and dietary fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals. Protein content varies somewhat. A normal serving of wheat berries is 1/4 cup dry which, when cooked, yields 1/2-cup serving. A 50 gram serving of hard red wheat berries, or about 1/4 cup uncooked, provides 163.5 calories, 1 gram of fat, 6.5 gram of protein, 35.5 gram of carbohydrates, 6 gram of dietary fiber and 1 milligram of sodium. Wheat berries are rich in vitamins B1 and B3; and the minerals magnesium, phosphorus, copper, manganese and selenium.

from http://www.livestrong.com/article/281394-nutrition-information-on-wheat-berries/

if you just google cooked nutritional value for fill in the blank you should be able to find what you want

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for responding. I can't always find what I am looking for: many diabetic websites give dry grams-helpful to some extent- but it would be easier to find cooked portions-especially for two people. Lovescats, you are correct when it comes to grains being loaded with high amounts of carbs, but when "diluted" with fresh non-starchy vegetables, they can still be enjoyed. There is a fabulous online "magazine" I found called "Diabetic Gourmet" : so far, the recipes have been so good, I don't feel deprived or that I am missing something. My food scale and measuring cups are my best friends, but as time goes on, I am getting better at estimating portions. Poodlepet2