Honored Contributor

Re: Type 2 Diabetes question....

Sending hugs FIRST. THEN- I'm sure you know the impact that stress has on any physical condition. Two hot dogs is NEVER the best choice for any eating situation, least of all, when you should be treating yourself very very well. If you can get it together enough to feed yourself veggies, protein, berries and green apples and a small handful of nuts, spread out over the day, your sugar will decrease and you'll enjoy the pay off of feeling better. YES, contact your doctor without delay, but a drastic improvement in your eating will give instant happies. I got sicker and sicker during the years that I took care of my DM, but now I feel as though I'm a little healthier and a little younger every single day. Please tell your doctor EVERYTHING when you go, and let us all know how you make out. We really can understand, at least in part, what you're going through.
Respected Contributor

I don't understand why you aren't eating a standard diabetic diet on a schedule, which is the best way to control blood sugar, prescriptions, insulin, whatever?

The standard diet measures out the amount and type of carbohydrate so you don't get a sugar spike. And hot dogs have hidden sugars (dried milk is included in hot dogs, and the milk sugar is a carb!) You also account for your activity (if you are exercising, your food has to change. If you are sedentary, it's different.)

And you only ate a little bit all day. How can you have your blood sugar stay where it must? You could fall over from hypoglycemia, or have other problems--imagine if you were driving and that happens? You could hurt yourself and someone else, too!

The Mayo Clinic Cookbook is a great place to start. Gives you calories, menus and reasons why to control blood sugar.

It's a basic book but a great place to start. If you get the hang of this then you could try the Comfort Food Diabetic book to cook your faves but in a way to control your blood sugar. If you keep doing this on schedule, measuring what you eat, you may find you can improve your condition radically.

Super Contributor

Are you taking any other meds? I do know that prednisone spikes bs up in that range. You do need to contact your doctor and let him guide you to a better more stable range and possibly change of meds.
Esteemed Contributor

You probably didn't eat enough during the day. I take one insulin shot in the morning with the pens and mine has been really good.

Esteemed Contributor

KAT! When my bs is high I take 1 tbl of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. I sweeten it with stevia. It works like a charm! Stress raises my bs too! Taking a walk helps too! Take care!!!

I take lantus daily, the metformin didn't lower my blood sugar and caused tummy problems! I feel badly for you, you have too much on your plate!!

hugs!!

Emmie

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/17/2014 RedTop said:

You need to see a doctor with a blood sugar reading of 300. Feeling dizzy and weird was a side effect of the high blood sugar, but when your readings are that high, there is also unseen damage to blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, etc.

Please see your doctor and talk with him or her about your medication to see if it is really working for you. I personally prefer insulin over oral medication. My husband has been diabetic for 18 years, and insulin works much better to control his blood sugar than any oral medication he has ever taken. My husband resisted insulin for many years because of a misconception about insulin being only for those in advanced stages of diabetes. What he didn't realize is that the entire time he was resistant to using insulin to control his diabetes, he was letting the disease get more out of control, by causing more damage to his organs and blood vessels. As a result of his poor decision, the neuropathy in his feet and legs got much worse, which has now led to full disability. The current trend is to start patients on insulin much sooner, due to the fact it gives better long term control over the damaging effects of diabetes.

Best wishes to you with this health challenge.

I agree! Waiting to start insulin led to my neuropathy as well.! The metformin didn't bring my blood sugar down, should have started insulin much sooner~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

I drink a glass of orange juice. However, my eye doctor who is diabetic told me he takes a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter! Don't know if it works though. Juice works for me.

I also take Metformin but only once a day. If I could drop a few pounds, I could get off it completely.

Valued Contributor

If I were you, I would call your local hospital and enroll in the Diabetes Classes that I believe all have. You will be given diets to follow, and what is too low or to high. It is a great informative way to keep your numbers in check and meet some nice people along the way! My DH and I went (he went for me) and still have my books to refer to and know when I have been good or really off!

Respected Contributor

On 8/17/2014 RINGER said:

If I were you, I would call your local hospital and enroll in the Diabetes Classes that I believe all have. You will be given diets to follow, and what is too low or to high. It is a great informative way to keep your numbers in check and meet some nice people along the way! My DH and I went (he went for me) and still have my books to refer to and know when I have been good or really off!

Excellent suggestion. DH developed type II diabetes after I did. He developed his because of anti-rejection drugs he takes for a kidney transplant. He was warned about this possibility. Fortunately, he is not overweight. We both went for the class that was offered and we did in fact, learn a lot. We are both well read and we both had certain pre-conceived ideas on diabetes but, as I said, we learned a lot and it was a great experience.

Do we always follow the diet??? No. Are we more aware and do we know what we SHOULD do??? Yes.

Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 Katluvr58 said:

First off I have never been on the board before but the beauty board would not like an OT so here I am. I am a Type 2 diabetic on Metformin twice a day. Mostly I feel good and I do not have any problems. I have been under a lot of stress lately and today I felt dizzy and weird so I checked my sugar. I was at 300. Not good. I also had only eaten two hot dogs all day and I knew I needed to eat. What do you eat when your sugar is high? I ended up with a handful of pistachios for protein. I am my mothers care giver and she is 85 and diabetic plus she gives me grief about everything. My son is 20 and knows everything. My BF loves to blow off steam all at my direction and my daughter was at her fathers house all week. Normally my daughter runs interference with my BF and her brother but with her gone it landed in my lap. I am so good at taking care of everyone else but I don't know how to take care of myself. Go figure. Any help appreciated. TIA.

Hi Katluvr58,

I'm on the beauty threads, also and recognized your name right away. Please, check in with your doctor right away who I hope is an endocrinologist. If not, you should see an endocrinologist for specialized care.

I have type 2 with adrenal insufficiency which has been further messes up with my CA treatment. Lucky though as we found out that I am "allergic" to Metformin (ketoacidosis) so I can't take it. There are other forms of Metformin also - extended release, osmotic. There is also a drug called Victoza that is my miracle fix for my glucose numbers. You may need to be on insulin? All these would be discussed with your doctor.

Don't friggin' mess around with your diet. Hot dogs are nothing but "lips & ar$eholes" according to my dietitian. It sounds like you're not much of a meal planner so start with higher protein snacks. Get a bunch of Glucerna (?) drinks, cottage cheese, string cheese, baked chicken wings, almonds, peanut butter, etc.

Learn to rid your body of the stress, even if it means locking yourself in the bathroom, with the fan on doing simple breathing techniques for ten minutes a few times a day. If you say you have "the runs" no one will bother you.

Please stay with us over here and call your doctor first thing tomorrow or even the on-call doctor today.