Super Contributor

Type 1 and Type 2 D Favorite Diabetes Recipes ~ For Breakfast Lunch Dinner

[ Edited ]

What are your Favorite Healthful Diabetes Recipes ?  Including Snacks ~

Anything you can share would be Appreciated !  Thank you everyone !

Super Contributor

Re: Type 1 and Type 2 D Favorite Diaebetes Recipes ~ For Breakfast Lunch Dinner

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes five days ago. I wish I had information, but I don't. I got a letter typed in all caps from my Dr. that said, "You have Diabetes!" Nothing else for information. My DH and I have been rsearching on the net for hours and hours every day. We have found many ads but little information for meals. I wish I could help; I am desperate for help too.

Maybe someone who is familiar with carb counting and meals will help.

Thanks you for bring this to the attention of the board.

Super Contributor

Recently our Son-Inlaw had mysteriously lost 25 lbs in a almost 2 month period.

After going in they found is count to be in the 700 range.  He was admitted to

ICU to bring his blood level down to a normal level.   He was diagnosed with

Type 1 which I understand to be a bit more complicated.  Type 2 can be

as I understand it can be reversed with diet and life changes.  I am no expert,

but think is what I have heard.

He see's a nutritionist tomorrow.  I will let you know if I find anything out

meal wise.   It is my thoughts that your doctor will advise you as well, on

diet and life changes as well.  

Thank you for your post, keep in touch if you find anything out, we can compare

notes ~  Have a great day !

@teainlondon wrote:

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes five days ago. I wish I had information, but I don't. I got a letter typed in all caps from my Dr. that said, "You have Diabetes!" Nothing else for information. My DH and I have been rsearching on the net for hours and hours every day. We have found many ads but little information for meals. I wish I could help; I am desperate for help too.

Trusted Contributor

I might suggest reading up on, 'The Starch Solution' by Dr. John McDougall. Lots of info on YouTube and Dr. McDougall's website. Patients have maintained excellent control of their A1C levels on this plan.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes over 20 years ago.   We learned later his diabetes is directly linked to his military service, and the food he was fed in Vietnam.   A year after his diabetes diagnosis, my 47 year old husband survived a big MI known as The Widowmaker.

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic nearly 7 years ago.  Because of very strong inherited risk, I have chosen to be pro-active with treatment.   What I have seen with my husband is that diabetes progresses, period.   Even tho he has always been on medication and under doctors care quarterly since his diagnosis, diabetes has taken its toll on his body and is the major reason he is 100% disabled.   He suffers with neuropathy in his hands, legs and feet, which has resulted in a diagnosis of PAD.   At this time, his eyes and kidneys are not severely impacted by diabetes, and his conditions are stable.   

I firmly believe each of us who are diabetic must find what works for us in controlling our blood sugar.  My husband and I have gone to diabetes classes 3x, and participated in a special diabetes class thru the county extension office.   We have taken the information we learned, and made a few needed changes to our eating habits, but are realistic about the changes we made.   We would not be successful with major changes to our diet.  

However, in this house, we do not do sugar free, fat free, or label any food off limits.   I do not have a diabetic cookbook, nor cook "diabetic" meals.  Our major problem was starchy carbs; we absolutely love white potatoes, pasta, and hot bread.   We now limit potatoes to once a week, pasta 1-2x a month, and limit our bread with meals.  Tonight we are having brown beans and cornbread for supper, but we haven't had bread since last Thursday.   We still drink sweet tea, soda, and eat candy, cake, chips, and cookies, but they are now our special treats, so we don't have them every day, not even every week, and not in large amounts. 

We are not big salad people, but have increased our intake of the root vegetables we like.  Many of our meals are oven roasted or grilled meat with vegetables, we enjoy dried beans 1-2x a week, but we also have chicken and dumplings, cube steak with gravy and biscuits, and all of our other favorites.   However, the key is in planning for the carb intake and staying within boundaries.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lacey1 wrote:

I might suggest reading up on, 'The Starch Solution' by Dr. John McDougall. Lots of info on YouTube and Dr. McDougall's website. Patients have maintained excellent control of their A1C levels on this plan.

@stargazergal

@teainlondon

I agree w/ Lacey's recommendation of 'The Starch Solution' by Dr. John McDougall.   Another read is "Program for Reversing Diabetes' by Dr. Neal Barnard.

I strongly encourage listening to this little 4:00 minute video 

explaining the Cause of Insulin Resistance. 

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance/

Fat in the blood & muscle cells causes insulin resistance.

Greatly reducing the dietary fat (and burning body fat) will lower blood sugars almost immediately.

@RedTop

If your husband is still on medication & suffering the effects of diabetes, I can't suggest enough to at least look at the alternative.  Like the saying goes, "if you keep doing the same thing, you'll get the same results."   And from your description, it's not where it should be.   Cut out the fat, meat, oils (doing the opposite) it will greatly improve your husband's condition. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom,

What you know about diabetes thru the references you site, and what I know first hand from helping someone with advanced, and progressive diabetes, are miles apart.   The assumptions you make about my husbands condition are wrong.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@sidsmom,

What you know about diabetes thru the references you site, and what I know first hand from helping someone with advanced, and progressive diabetes, are miles apart.   The assumptions you make about my husbands condition are wrong.   

@RedTop

Unfortunately you're assumptions of "miles apart" are incorrect.

I DO have folks close to me that were diagnosed diabetic for many years...then changed their diet to a low fat plant based diet & they no longer need medication...and no longer have to monitor BS like many do.  They reversed their diabetic condition to not being diabetic any longer.

That is the reason why I'm passionate about Plant Based...and especially Plant Based to reverse Type 2 Diabetes.  I have witnessed it first hand that it works.   

I just can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to at least try to reverse their condition.  It amazes me posters will say their way of eating is 'working' then in the same breath say they are still on medication.  If you're on medication...it's not working. 

Medications/Monitoring = Bad

No Medications/No Monitoring = Good

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for all of your information.  It is so interesting to hear that your husband's diabetes was linked to the food he was fed from Vietnam.  Forgive me

I am a little lost on the next sentence that your husband survived a big MI known

as the widowmaker... could you explain further? (sorry)

I have never been checked for diabetes, though I know it has run in my family.

My bad, I stay away from doctors as much as possible and have not been for

years.  Enough about me.

I find it also very interesting that though he was diagnosed and treated....that

it progressed.  (ugh). You stated that it resulted in a diagnosis of PAD (?) 

could you explain further on that one please.... thank you.

Thank you so much for your input ~ Wishing you and your husband only

the best on your health and wellness ~  I appreciated your posting ~

@RedTop wrote:

My husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes over 20 years ago.   We learned later his diabetes is directly linked to his military service, and the food he was fed in Vietnam.   A year after his diabetes diagnosis, my 47 year old husband survived a big MI known as The Widowmaker.

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic nearly 7 years ago.  Because of very strong inherited risk, I have chosen to be pro-active with treatment.   What I have seen with my husband is that diabetes progresses, period.   Even tho he has always been on medication and under doctors care quarterly since his diagnosis, diabetes has taken its toll on his body and is the major reason he is 100% disabled.   He suffers with neuropathy in his hands, legs and feet, which has resulted in a diagnosis of PAD.   At this time, his eyes and kidneys are not severely impacted by diabetes, and his conditions are stable.   

I firmly believe each of us who are diabetic must find what works for us in controlling our blood sugar.  My husband and I have gone to diabetes classes 3x, and participated in a special diabetes class thru the county extension office.   We have taken the information we learned, and made a few needed changes to our eating habits, but are realistic about the changes we made.   We would not be successful with major changes to our diet.  

However, in this house, we do not do sugar free, fat free, or label any food off limits.   I do not have a diabetic cookbook, nor cook "diabetic" meals.  Our major problem was starchy carbs; we absolutely love white potatoes, pasta, and hot bread.   We now limit potatoes to once a week, pasta 1-2x a month, and limit our bread with meals.  Tonight we are having brown beans and cornbread for supper, but we haven't had bread since last Thursday.   We still drink sweet tea, soda, and eat candy, cake, chips, and cookies, but they are now our special treats, so we don't have them every day, not even every week, and not in large amounts. 

We are not big salad people, but have increased our intake of the root vegetables we like.  Many of our meals are oven roasted or grilled meat with vegetables, we enjoy dried beans 1-2x a week, but we also have chicken and dumplings, cube steak with gravy and biscuits, and all of our other favorites.   However, the key is in planning for the carb intake and staying within boundaries.   

Super Contributor

MIght I ask if you had any symptoms or ?  Was it a complete shock to you?

Thank you for your post.....Best of luck on your new journey and keep us

posted on what you find out, okay?  Would love to hear !

@teainlondon wrote: