Respected Contributor

Tylenol or Advil '''after the vaccine'''?

I got my second Covid vaccine shot yesterday.  Today, I am a bit achy with a slight headache..just overall, a tad miserable.  Does anyone know if it is safe to take Tylenol or Advil ''after the vaccine'' to help with the side effects?  I have read that it's not recommended to take anything 'prior' to the vaccine - but haven't heard anything about ''after'' the vaccine. TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Tylenol or Advil '''after the vaccine'''?

My daughter had a moderate reaction after her 2nd shot on Friday. She took Aleve that night at bedtime and 2x yesterday. Her arm is still sore, with visible redness at injection site, but otherwise, feeling ok today.
Honored Contributor

I have read Tylenol only, avoid ibuprofen . Not sure about Aleve, but best to avoid it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's fine to take something after the vaccine. I took Excederin after mine for a sore arm. I never take Tylenol because it does absolutely nothing for me. 

Honored Contributor

Due to my previous cancer and other health issues, I am only allowed to take acetaminophen/tylenol for anything.

Had shot #1 on Friday. On Friday and Saturday had a mild headache. A dose of acetaminophen did the trick. No other problems.

Regular Contributor

The paperwork I received with my first vaccine says you can take Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(I.e. ibuprofen, naproxen)  or acetaminophen.

Trusted Contributor

One of the nurses at work told me to take either ibuprofen (which I can't because I'm highly allergic to naproxen) or Tylenol AFTER the shot. Don't take it before you get the shot because it has a negative effect on the vaccine.

Respected Contributor

Yes, everything I’ve read says it’s fine if you experience symptoms. Tylenol was recommended to me over Advil at my site.  Congratulations on your second dose!

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda -

I've wondered about that too.

Of course we can take something but if taking an anti-inflammatory before the vaccine affects how well it works, how does it not affect the results taking an antiinflammatory right after?

Maybe they just don't know for sure and don't won't to tell people not to take anything after for fear more won't want to get a vaccine. Who knows?!

I had more than a sore arm on my first by nighttime. It felt like someone socked me. Had a headache and then next day, felt overwhelmingly more tired than usual like a log that couldn't get up. But fortunately it lasted less than a few hours.Then by afternoon after the vaccine felt normal.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Josmad wrote:

The paperwork I received with my first vaccine says you can take Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(I.e. ibuprofen, naproxen)  or acetaminophen.

@Josmad @ @Naproxen or ibuprophen is NOT  a non-steroidal antiinflammatory medication. It is an NSAID. Acetominophen, aka, Tylenol is not an NSAID.