Honored Contributor

Re: Tylenol, Advil, Motrin

[ Edited ]

I take 2 tylenol extra strength with 2 advils if it's fairly bad pain.  The doctor says not to do that more than 3 days in a row.  If it's not too bad, I will take 2 or 3 aspirin. If you take 3 then you have to wait 6 hrs. before you take another dose. I pretty much switch off between these two things.

I edited this to say: I try everything else first. Like stretches, walking, heating pad, and ice. I only do the above if these don't work.  Many times this works for me.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Just curious ..... does anyone here still take regular old Bayer Aspirin?   How about Bufferin?  

Yes, I do. One baby aspirin every day. I don't do the baby aspirin if it's a day I have taken the 325's for pain. My mother swore by one baby aspirin a day and she lived to be 92.

Respected Contributor

I take Bayer Back and Body for my Arthritic pain. I find Tylenol for Arthritis does nothing for me. I do worry though about the affect Bayer will eventually have on my stomach, if any.😔

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I take Bayer Back and Body for my Arthritic pain. I find Tylenol for Arthritis does nothing for me. I do worry though about the affect Bayer will eventually have on my stomach, if any.😔

@Starpolisher   I only take aspirin after  eating something...never on an empty stomach.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tylenol, Advil, Motrin

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

@Starpolisher 

These days, both Bayer and Bufferin are coated to minimize stomach upset ...  at least that's what the commercials say.    Woman LOL.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I rarely need pain control thankfully, but when I do, I take two Tylenol and I am good to go.  I usually take a supplement for liver cleansing with the Tylenol as Tylenol is toxic to the liver.

@SeaMaiden 

I mentioned Tylenol/Liver connection in another one of my post. 

Tylenol is the only pain med I can take. To say "it is toxic to the liver"? Toxicity has been found primarily in those that Overdose(OD). That means a person taking a large amount above the suggested Maximum at 1 time, or! Taking the Maximum(therapeutic dose), over a long and sustained period of time.

I am talking about those that have a healthy liver, and is not, in some way, Genetically predisposed to liver damage. 

To you it may be "toxic to your liver", for me and most others that take Tylenol(Acetaminophen) it is not!  That is assuming that they take it well under the prescribed daily Maximum. It has been proven to as safe as other OTC Pain Relievers.

Celebrex, on the other hand, is an NSAID, and can also cause serious damage to the liver. It however is a Prescription Medication, when prescribed as a patients Theraputpeutic dosage.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn : You are correct,sir. I also cannot take Advil,etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I am allergic to aspirin so the only pain reliever I can take is Tylenol.  

Honored Contributor

My Mom swore by bufferd aspirin.

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

What do you take for pain?

@pprmntstx   Ibuprofen.  The others never worked for me.